importance of time management
What is time management?
It is a set of principles, practices, skills, tools and systems that help you use your time to accomplish what you want.
Why is time management important?
Time management is of great importance to your personal life and career success. It teaches you how to manage your time effectively and make the most of it.
Here are a few of the reasons why it is so important, and how it can help you use and manage your time more advantageously:
1. Time is a special resource that you cannot store or save for later use. Everyone has the exact same amount of time each day. Time not well used cannot be retrieved.
2. Most people feel like they have too much to do and not enough time. They blame lack of time for their poor finances, unachieved goals, stress, bad relationships and not exercising their body. Wise time management can help you find the time for what you desire to do or need to do.
3. You need time to get what you want out of life. Waiting for more free time to appear is losing the game of life. Through time management you can “create” the time you need, and not just wait for it to come. By planning your time wisely, you will have more time to do more things.
4. Time management will help you set up your priorities.
5. Time is limited to 24 hours a day, so plan your life wisely.
6. Time management helps you make conscious choices, so you can spend more of your time doing things that are important and valuable to you.
7. You can learn to find the time for the things that are important to you. Even a small amount of time once a day, or even once a week, will take you closer to your goals, and you will be surprised at the progress you make.
8. You become more productive using improved time management skills and tools, and can accomplish more with less effort and time. Time management can help you reduce wasted time and energy, help you become more creative and productive, and enable you to do the right thing at the right time. This will of course lead to more balance and fulfillment in your life.
9. Life today presents so many distractions that it is so easy to lose time on unimportant activities. Ask yourself, is watching this or that TV program, reading this or that gossip or participating in a certain activity is going to add anything to your life. Is the time spent on a particular activity well spent, or is just a waste of time and energy?
10. Life puts in front of everyone so many choices each day, and the question is, do you follow what appears on your way, or do you consciously choose what you want to do? Do you allow external distractions deter you from your goal, or do you use willpower and self discipline to walk toward your goal in a straight line, without wasting time and energy?
11. Some inner detachment and inner peace is of great help in managing your time effectively. If you avoid expending too much emotional and mental energy on what people say and think about you, and if you stay calm in spite of distractions or difficulties, you can save a lot of time and energy, which you can spend on better and more rewarding activities.
There are may things you can do and tools to use to manage your time effectively. There is a lot of time wasted each day, which can be put to better uses. There are changes you can make to effectively increase the time you have at your disposal every day.
Thinking, planning, finding out how others manage their time, and reading books and articles on time management, will develop these skills and give you good ideas.
Among the many changes you can make to manage your time better there is one that is important and easily available, and that is getting up early in the morning. Give up watching TV late at night and go to sleep a little earlier. It will then be easier to wake up earlier. Even 15 minutes would be great. It is a time of quietude, before everyone else wakes up, which you can devote to doing things, for which you have no time during the day, such as reading, meditating, exercising or planning your day.
To get rid of the feeling that you have much to do and not enough time, feel and think as if you have all the time in the world. This will help you feel calm and enable you to focus on what you are doing, without stress and strain. This is not being indifferent and lazy. You should at the same time plan your time well, not waste it on useless matters, do everything you can at the best of your ability, never procrastinate, act with discipline and focus on what you are doing.