What Is Skim Milk
Are you a health conscious person who hesitates to drink milk because of its high calorie content? Then why not try skim milk instead of regular cow’s milk? Skim milk is a natural dairy product with an extremely low fat content. Skim milk is also sometimes referred as “fat free” milk. This form of milk can be an ideal alternative to those who want to avoid whole milk due to its high calorie content. However, skim milk tastes slightly different when compared to whole milk as the cream is removed from it. In modern dairy production, a centrifuge method is used to remove the fat content of the milk. A large steel container is first filled with the whole milk and then by applying centrifuge force the cream is separated from the upper layer of the milk. The cream is used to prepare butter, cheese, and other similar products. The milk is then pasteurized, homogenized, packaged, and sent across stores. Skim milk usually does not have more than 0.5% of fat content. On the other hand, whole milk has 3.5% of fat content. To learn more facts about skim milk, read through the sections that follow. Nutritional Value Of Skim Milk One Cup (245ml) Of Skim Milk Contains
Skim Milk Facts
- Calories 86
- Total fat (g) 0.4
- Saturated fat (g) 0.3
- Monosaturated fat (g) 0.1
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0
- Dietary fiber (g) 0
- Protein (g) 8
- Carbohydrate (g) 12
- Cholesterol (mg) 4
- Sodium (mg) 126
- Riboflavin (mg) 0.3
- Calcium (mg) 301
- Phosphorus (mg) 248
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- Skim milk contains much less cholesterol, fat, and calories when compared to whole milk.
- Skim milk is a great option for those who are on a diet. Skim milk is also known as diet milk.
- Skim milk has all the goodness of milk that helps boost immunity. In general, it improves the health of a person.
- If you have family history of obesity, you can introduce skim milk in your kid’s diet after the age of 2. Nevertheless, be sure to consult your child’s pediatrician before you start it.
- Skim milk can stay fresh for five to ten days under refrigeration.
- The taste of skim milk is a bit watery.
- Always check for the expiration date before you buy skim milk.
- Another variety of skim milk is semi skim milk that has a fat content between one and two percent. If you want to have less calorie milk, but don’t want to miss the flavor of whole milk at the same time, then semi skim milk will be a good option for you.
- Some brands of skim milk are available with added vitamin supplements and extra calcium.
- Skim milk can sometimes be seen to have a very slightly greenish tinge to it. This is because of the riboflavin that can be found in the whey component of the milk. The casein micelles can also scatter light differently and give skim milk a slightly bluish tinge at times.