Water retention can be described as a process in which the body retains water within body tissues or circulatory system. Hence, when there is an excess intake of water on a sunny day, it is excreted out from the body as urine by kidneys; and if it is less, the body will hold the fluids, making you urinate less than usual. Did you know that maximum people retain a little water, making this phenomenon fairly common? The body may hold on to excess water and make you look overweight. Women may especially detect a rise in water retention in the week prior their menstruation. While it is okay to stop minor water retention at home, consulting a doctor becomes mandatory in case the problem is acute. Explore this article to find home remedies for water retention, to be used in case of a minor problem. Home Remedies for Water Retention
Dos and Doníts
- Paradoxically, the most recommended home remedy for stopping water retention consuming more water. This is because water retention problem normally surfaces when our body gets dehydrated. So, having eight to 10 glasses of water a day will help in eliminating extra water from the body.
- Grab a banana, as the potassium content in it will help eliminate fluid retention. You can also go for raisins, for a similar effect.
- Another remedy for stopping water retention is cutting down the intake of extra sodium in the diet. This is not easy. Normally, we can single out few food items that have high sodium content, but then just about any packaged food contains some amount of sodium. Try keeping a tab on the amount of sodium you consume.
- Another remedy for stopping water retention is through increasing intake of caffeine. A known diuretic, caffeine will help discard a little of water weight when taken in small quantity. Go for herbal tea as well, as it also slightly diuretic.
- If you have been prescribed multivitamin capsules, have them regularly, as they would fill up all the required nutrients that your body needs to function at its best and also keeps water retention at bay.
- You can also follow a waterfall diet that includes certain foods that help excrete excess water from the body, as they have little diuretic effect. For example, try mixing few drops of lemon juice in your water, as it will help in frequent urination and stop water retention. You can also have any other food rich in Vitamin C, as they have diuretic properties too. Eating cabbage as salad or drinking cranberry juice will also stop water retention.
- Exercise on a regular basis. It will help flush out the excess water and salt from your body from the body, as a part of sweating and increased urine flow. It will also help in reducing swelling in the body parts, which might result from water retention, as it helps excrete extra salts from the body.
- Limit your alcohol intake. At the same time, take six small meals a day, instead of three big meals.
- Stay away from junk food completely, as they have extra salt and calories, which aid water retention.