Every religion since ages has endorsed fasting as a necessary ritual to be in touch with the spiritual self. And now science has come with loads of data to prove that fasting can prove to be beneficial to the health, albeit if done properly. The most notable benefit of fasting is in reducing weight. This is very logical as food, specifically junk food, is the main cause of obesity. During the entire length of fasting, it is entirely forbidden to eat any solid food no matter how healthy it is. The person is only allowed to drink water or juice. This is because the body needs to burn up the fat reserves to cut down the weight. At the same time, it requires nutrients, which in the case of water fasting the water provides or the juice during juice fasting. But one need not be overweight to go on water fast. You should know that water is the best detoxification agent, and so during the fast when the body doesn’t have to work on the food, it uses the energy in detoxification the body. This is why after a fast, the body feels more rejuvenated. If you are looking to go on water fast, then given below are a few tips that you should keep in mind while doing so.
Water Fasting Tips
- Mental preparation is the most important requisite before starting on water fast. First of all, you should prepare your mind about the rigors involved in the fast. This will help you to be more determined and not chicken out when the hunger pangs hit. Mental preparation is the key to success in water fasting.
- Timing of the water fasting is also an important factor. Make sure that during the fasting you are not involved in any hard activity as you won’t have that energy to do the work. The less pressure and responsibilities that you have, the better it is during the fast. That is why it is always helpful if you go on water fasting during the holidays and weekends.
- You should startpreparing your body for the fast at least one week before you go on the water fast. During that week, drink plenty of water and fresh juices and also include lots of raw fruits and vegetables. The juices and raw foods will start the detoxification of the body and so during the fast, the body won’t work aggressively in detoxification.
- Prior to the fasting, gradually reduce the amount of food that you intake. In this way, your body will get used to the less food and during the fast your hunger pangs won’t be that severe.
- Water fasting can be pretty tough for first timers. So, it is always better to enlist the support of those around you. You can tell them why you want to fast and how it will help you. Their support and encouragement will help a lot in successfully completing your fast.
- Remember, the temptation to quit will be strong. Therefore, you must involve your mind in all those activities that divert your mind from the hunger. Meditation and deep breathing exercises are very good in this. You can also indulge in other activities like reading, listening to music or gardening. Or simply take a nap.
- During fasting, you should ensure the proper health of your colon. Before the fast, you can take colon cleaning supplementsor take foods rich in high fiber. Remember that it is normal not to have any bowel movements during the fast.
- Sometimes, experiencing dizziness and blackouts is common while on water fasting. To counter it, simply sit on a chair or lie on the floor.
- Breaking the fast also requires special consideration. At the time of breaking the fast, have a glass of juice and rest for about 15 minutes. Then, have a small organic meal. After two to three hours, you can have a normal meal.