The Benefits of Moisturizing

When I think about my angsty teenage years, there are a few things that come to mind that I wish I could tell the high school version of myself. Somewhere in between the suggestion to listen to much less Connor Oberst and to be much nicer to my mother falls the most important advice, moisturize. Unfortunately, the raging hormones of adolescence made my face less than smooth, and I thought the best way to combat my acne was to dry out my face as much as possible. Little did I know that I was skipping one of the key steps to having healthy, clear skin. Moisturizers help skin retain water and ultimately help your skin look younger, smoother, and glowing.

One of the biggest mistakes those with acne prone skin make is skipping out on moisturizer. Since acne prone skin is already oily, the idea of drying it out sounds appealing and seems like the perfect solution, but skin needs to be supple and moisturized to be healthy. Though initially it may look like the acne is disappearing along with the moisture, dry skin actually causes more breakouts because your skin ends up producing even more oil to try to repair itself. The key to acne-prone skin is using the right moisturizer. Be sure to look for an oil-free product and don’t be afraid to try out different products until you find one that doesn’t leave you feeling shiny and greasy.

Moisturizing goes beyond the face; you want to make sure to take the time to moisturize your entire body. Keeping your skin hydrated has many benefits like wrinkle prevention, keeping away itchiness and irritation, and of course, smooth, glowing skin just looks better than dry cracks and scales. Lotions and moisturizers also work to add a layer of protection for the skin against harsh weather and infections.

The best time to moisturize is right after you shower. It is best to exfoliate in the shower, and then put on lotion in order to optimize the hydration and repairing effects of moisturizing. You can find lotions with added benefits like SPF, so you don’t have to worry about an extra sunscreen step in your routine. I like to look for a really thick and creamy lotion for some of the really dry areas that need special attention like my feet and elbows. Lotions with cocoa butter or natural oils work best for those dry areas.

Luckily I grew up, became slightly less angsty, and learned that moisturizing is a necessity for beautiful, healthy skin!