Sunscreen Myths Uncovered

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
1. You don’t need a sunscreen during monsoon and winters

UV rays don’t stop existing in the monsoons and winters. If science is any proof, they are way more damaging during this time.

2. Double the SPF means twice the protection, so I should wear SPF 75 or SPF 100.

The SPF rating is a measure of the time it would take you to sunburn if you were not wearing sunscreen as opposed to the time it would take with sunscreen on. Simply said, if you wear an SPF 20 sunscreen, your skin is roughly protected for 200 minutes. We recommend wearing SPF 30-50 and not more since those products would have many more chemicals

3. If I use Sunscreen, I don’t need a moisturizer underneath

Sunscreens don’t moisturize the skin. Moisturizers do. And let’s not underestimate the power of moisturization as moisturizers give us the hydration that our skin needs to look healthy and sunscreens don’t do that.

4. I don’t need a sunscreen if I’m wearing a BB cream/ foundation with SPF

Your skin needs 7 times more protection than your make up can provide. Clearly your “light” BB cream isn’t equipped enough.

5. Applying sunscreen just a minute before stepping out is fine.

Your everyday sunscreen needs fifteen minutes at least, to soak into your skin.

6. My skin is naturally dark so I don’t need to wear sunscreen.

People of all skin types get skin cancer. That’s why skimping on sun protection can cost you, no matter what your skin tone is.

7. I don’t need to reapply sunscreen all day if I’m not out in the sun

Even the tube light that brightens your home, emits harmful rays. Applying sun-block at all times is a must!

8. My sunscreen should have UVA or UVB filters for effective protection

Both types of rays are attributed to causing different skin cancers. UVB penetrates into the outer layer of the skin and damages the cells resulting in inflamed or sunburnt skin. UVA rays penetrate more deeply causing direct damage to supporting tissues. Hence your sunscreen must protect your skin from both.

9. The more the layers of sunscreen, the more the sun protection

If you’re layering an SPF 30 sunscreen, with another layer of SPF 30 sunscreen, it still gives you the protection of SPF 30, not SPF 60.

10. Sunscreens are carcinogenic

Sunscreens remain on the surface of the skin, without penetrating into living skin cells, thus killing the likelihood of sunscreens being carcinogenic.