Organic Milk Benefits
The demand for organic milk is booming and may reach up to double the cost of regular milk. The ‘United States Department of Agriculture’ has defined organic milk as milk from cows that has not been treated with synthetic growth hormones or antibiotics. These cows should have been kept in a natural environment and fed exclusively on organic fodder with long grazing time. Organic milk is treated in high temperatures to increase its shelf life. According to the ‘Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance’, organic milk needs to stay fresh for longer periods of time because organic milk is not produced throughout the country. The packaged milk has to travel long distances to reach stores and shops in different cities around the country and at times different parts of the world. The health benefits of organic milk are immense. Read on to learn more about benefits of drinking organic milk in the lines that follow. Health Benefits Of Organic Milk
Organic Milk Benefits For Kids
- Since the cows are not treated with antibiotics, hormones, and feed on organic grass, the milk they produce is devoid of harmful chemicals that are usually present, even if in trace amounts, in regular milk.
- Organic milk also has a long shelf life of upto one month as opposed to regular milk that lasts only for a few days. This is because organic milk is processed in a different manner than normal pasteurized milk.
- Organic milk undergoes ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing treatment, in which the milk is boiled at a temperature of 280 degrees Fahrenheit for two to four seconds, thus ensuring that all the bacteria are killed.
- In normal pasteurization process, milk is heated at 145 degrees Fahrenheit to 160 degrees Fahrenheit, thus not ensuring complete elimination of all the bacteria.
- A recent study, published by BBC News, says that organic milk is rich in omega 3 essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E that help combat infections. It is believed that omega 3 essential fatty acids help provide protection from coronary heart diseases. The study also suggested that organic milk is rich in vitamin content including vitamin A and beta carotene.
- Organic milk also contains CLA or linoleic acid, an essential nutrient that helps in reducing body fat.
- One of the biggest advantages of organic milk over regular milk is that cows feed on natural pastures, grass that is not sprayed with fertilizers and pesticides. Hence, people consuming organic milk are not at risk of intaking these harmful chemicals.
- Cows that are kept aside to be fed on organic feed are not treated with artificial hormones and antibiotics; hence organic milk lacks these chemicals rendering it safe for consumption.
- Organic milk is considered to be good for kids as this variety of milk lacks antibiotics, synthetic hormones, and pesticides.
- Organic milk comes in different forms like fat-free skimmed milk, whole milk, lactose-free reduced fat 2% milk, low-fat 1% chocolate milk, and reduced fat 2% milk. Therefore it is safe for children to consume.
- Bear in mind that while organic milk is safe for kids, children should never consume raw milk as it enhances the chances of different bacterial infections.
- Kids who are obese or are overweight should switch to reduced fat milk once they are two years of age. They can switch to organic milk as well.