Natural Sinus Remedies
Sinus is such a common and frequent problem that most of us donít take it seriously. Or at least, until the sharp pain hits at the back of the head and the temples, and even the nose gets so blocked that breathing gets difficult. When the tempo of the pain increases, normal work begins to suffer, as it is very difficult to concentrate on things, other than the throbbing in the head and the blockage of the nose. Sinus can be caused due to viral or fungal infections or allergens. In most cases, sinus starts as a cold, which makes people thinks that as soon as the nose gets clear, the pain would disappear. However, with time, the nose gets more congested and the pain in the head more severe, along with a light discharge from the nose. These are the classic symptoms of sinusitis. If the symptoms last for four weeks, then it is acute sinusitis and if it lasts longer then twelve weeks, then it can be diagnosed as chronic. The symptoms of sinusitis also recur periodically. Thus, it is very necessary that you keep remedies for pain relief and congestion at hand. Though there are various over-the-counter medications available, it is best to go for natural remedies, as their frequent use would not cause any side effects. Read the article further to know the various natural remedies for sinus. Sinus Infection Remedies
- Soup containing garlic, pepper and horseradish root, in short anything that is hot and spicy, can have a very calming effect on the sinus. This is very effective in draining the sinus.
- Inhaling the vapor of eucalyptus oil is also very effective. Bring a kettle of water to a boil and then pour the water in a bowl. Add three drops of eucalyptus oil to the water. Now, bend over the fumes approximately at armís length and cover the head with a towel. Close the eyes and breathe the fumes deeply. Do this for ten minutes for instant relief.
- Mix half a teaspoon of non-iodized salt and half a teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of water in a clean vessel. Take a bulb syringe and tilting the head down, squeeze the water through one nostril, so that it comes out of the other. Repeat with the other nostril. This remedy also provides relief against sinus.
- Adopt a diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, fish and hot chicken broth. This helps in the breakdown of mucus, clearing the sinus. You should avoid mucus forming foods, like dairy products, wheat, eggs, sugar, pastries, chocolates and fried and fatty foods.
- Drink at least three liters of water a day and also have lots of herbal drinks. This will not only clear the sinus, but also provide relief from the pain.
- Squeeze a lemon in a glass of hot water. Add one teaspoon of grated horseradish root and a little bit of honey. Sip this drink slowly. This will provide instant relief.
- Nose rub is also quite effective in providing relief from sinus. Rub both palms in quick motions so that heat is produced. Then, with the warm palm, rub the tip of the nose in circular motion for about twenty times. Now, rub it in the opposite direction for about 20 times. Doing this several times a day provides relief from the sinus congestion.
- To get relief against sinus headache, place your fingers in your head in such a way that you can press the neck muscles in a depression at the base of the skull with your thumbs. Apply pressure in the area and rub for 2 minutes. Do this several times a day to get relief from the headache.