Mattar Paneer also called Cottage Cheese and Pea Curry and is one of the famous dishes you will find in indian cusines. When Peas currey mixed with Cheese with addes indian spices it gives a taste of its own. Lets find out the easies way to cook for our family.
Serving : 8
Pressure Cooking Time 1 minute
10 cups : whole milk
1/4 cup : lemon juice
10 gms. : ginger
6 flakes : garlic
1 cup : vegetable oil
4 medium (400 gms.) onions grated
1 teaspoon : turmeric powder
2 teaspoons : red chilli powder
1-1/2 tablespoons : coriander powder
1 tablespoon : cumin powder
1 tablespoon : salt
2 large (350 gms.) : tomatoes chopped
2-2/3 cups : whey or water
5 cups : peas shelled or frozen
½ teaspoon : garam masala powder
1 tablespoon : coriander leaves chopped
1. To make paneer: In a pan bring milk to boil, stirring occasionally to prevent skin from forming on top. Add lemon juice and stir till milk curdles (curd separates from whey). Remove pan from heat. Place muslin over bowl. Pour curdled milk into muslin and strain. Reserve 2 3/4 cups whey. Gather up corners of muslin and tie about 5 cms. above curd. Hang this bag for about 30 minutes. Gently squeeze bag, take down and place between two cutting boards. Place on top board about 21/4 kgs. heavy object (saucepan filled with water) for about 2 hours until paneer layer is 1 cm. thick. Remove weight. Untie bag and remove. Cut paneer into 2Vz cm. cubes.
2. Grind ginger and garlic into a paste.
3. Group paneer into 3 batches. Heat oil in cooker for about 3 minutes. Lightly brown each batch and remove. Drain off excess oil leaving 1/2 cup in cooker.
4. Place cooker on high heat. Add onions and fry till golden brown.
5. Add ginger-garlic paste. Stir for a few seconds. Add turmeric, chilli, coriander and cumin powders, salt, tomatoes and Vi cup
whey or water. Cook till tomatoes are pulpy and oil shows separately (approximately 5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
6. Add peas. Stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add remaining whey or
Water (2 1/2 cups).
7. Close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute.
8. Remove cooker from heat. Press finger-tip control lightly to release pressure.
9. Open cooker. Place cooker on medium heat. Add paneer and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add garam masala powder. Stir.
10. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.