How To Treat A Sprained Ankle
Whether you have hurt that ankle of yours while running to catch the bus or while doing any other activity, relax because we will make sure you get up and get going again. Follow these steps to heal that sprained ankle of yours.
- First and foremost ice the sprained ankle. Apply ice on the injury immediately after you have sprained that ankle of yours. Keep icing it several times in a day for 15-20 minutes each time, until the swelling has subsided. Remember not to ice the injury for more than 20 minutes at a time. Many people think, the more the better but this is absolutely wrong. Infact overdoing it can have adverse effects on the injury.
- Do not wrap or compress the ankle that has been injured. Wrapping or compressing prevents the excess fluid from draining from the damaged area. This will prolong the pain, discomfort and swelling.
- Rest the injured ankle as much as possible. Infact, stay off the injured leg as much as possible. It will help greatly in the healing process.
- Elevate the injured ankle of yours by placing a few pillows, chair, coffee table or anything else under the ankle that is injured. Elevating the ankle will help in minimizing the swelling that takes place.
- Avoid any kind of heat while the injured area is still swollen. Use moist heat over the sprained ankle once the injury has subsided a little.
- Begin using the ankle once the pain and the swelling has gone. Remember to do it cautiously though because you do not want to work it 100 percent as soon as it has healed. Do it gradually. This will activate the nerve fibres in the injured area which inturn will help in restoring the lost strength in the muscles and ligaments that were damaged. It will also help in promoting better blood circulation.