How to avoid smoking cigarettes

Lily

B.R
Staff member
When we quit smoking, most of us go through a fair amount of junkie thinking - the internal battle between our addiction and ourselves. Early on in smoking cessation, the dialogue can seem relentless. It's often persistent, annoying and exhausting. It is however, temporary, and the less attention you give to unhealthy thoughts of smoking, the better.

Thoughts of smoking just one cigarette have been the ruin of many good quitting efforts. It's important for you to realize ahead of time that these mental contortions are a normal part of the recovery process. A little preparation will keep you in the driver's seat when your mind starts to wander and smoking seems like a good option. Sometimes, distracting yourself for as little as 5 minutes is enough to snap you out of faulty thinking and get you moving forward with a better mindset.
Some days will be harder than others

Such is smoking cessation, and such is life. On those days when simple distractions don't work and you're feeling agitated and unhappy, have a game plan that you can turn to at a moment’s notice. You can start by making a list entitled:Ways to Pamper Myself

Put things on the list that you might reserve for those times when you need an extra boost:
  • An afternoon at the movies
  • A pedicure and/or a manicure
  • Take a long walk in nature, and bring the dog!
  • Give yourself an hour to soak in a long hot bath
  • Relax with a good book
  • Head to the gym for a workout and a swim
  • Go on a mini shopping spree
  • Take a power nap
  • Splurge on a hot fudge sundae with all the fixings
Whatever the treat, make it self-indulgent and guilt-free. You're working hard to free yourself from a tough addiction, and a little positive reinforcement goes a long way. If all else fails, put yourself on ignore and go to bed a little earlier than usual. Tomorrow will be a better day.There is No Such Thing as Just One Cigarette

As they say, cigarettes travel in packs. The only way to keep the beast at bay is to keep nicotine out of your system. If you decide to go ahead and smoke just one, chances are you'll be back to your old habit in short order. You may even find yourself smoking more than you used to.

There is no such thing as just one cigarette.

If you absolutely cannot get thoughts of smoking out of your mind and you fear you're about to cave in and smoke, stop everything. Grab some paper and a pen, sit down, and answer the questions below with honesty and as much detail as you can muster.
  • Why did I quit smoking?
  • How long did I smoke?
  • How long have I been smoke-free?
  • How long do I think it should take to be free of this habit?
  • If I go back to smoking, will I want to quit again?
  • How long will it be before I do? Weeks...months...years?
  • When illness strikes?
  • Will quitting be any easier next time around?
  • What benefits will smoking give me?
  • Is it worth giving up what I've worked so hard to do?
Some of these questions are hard to think about, but the fact is, people who return to smoking run the risk of not quitting again for years or before a smoking related illness strikes. Keep your memory green and don't lose sight of the reasons you quit smoking. They are no less true today than they were when you quit, but if you're not careful, they can feel less critical.

Be patient with yourself and allow the healing process to take place, regardless of how long it takes. Nurture and protect your quit program because it's the path to a healthier and happier