For making Gol Gappe (plural Gol Gappe)
1. Sooji (Semolina ) 1/2 cup
2. Maida ( Plain Refined Flour) 1/2 tbsp.
3. Cooking Soda 1/2 teaspoon
4. Salt to taste
5. Oil for Frying
For Spicy Pani or Spicy
1. Chopped Mint Leaves 1 1/2 cups
2. Chopped Coriander Leaves 1 tbsp.
3. Tamarind 1/3 cup
4. Ginger 1"
5. Green Chillies 4 to 5
6. Ground Cumin Seed (roasted) 1 tsp.
7. Kala Namak (Black Salt ) 1 1/2 tsp.
8. Salt to taste
1. Boiled Potato, finely chopped /mashed and mixed with salt and red chilli.
For Red Tamarind Chutney
1. Tamarind 1 cup
2. Jaggery 1/2 cup
3. Sugar 2 tbsp.
4. Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
5. Kali Micrch (Black pepper) powder 1/4 tsp.
6. Dry Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp
7. Cloves 2
8. Warm 2 cups
9. Vegetable oil 1 tsp.
10. Salt to taste
Instructions:For Gol Gappe or Gol Gappa :
1. Mix semolina, plain flour, Cooking Soda salt , 2 tablespoons of oil and knead well to make dough, leave it bit stiffer than normal.
2. Cover it with a wet towel and let it stand for 20 minutes.
3. Now make very small balls and roll them into small circles.
4. Remember not to make the circles bigger as they have to be eaten whole.
5. Remember to put the circles under a damp cloth as soon as you roll them.
6. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and then them.
7. The idea is to puff them like a sphere and them till golden brown.
8. Take them out and put them on kitchen paper towel, to get rid of the extra oil.
9. Let them completely cool down ( otherwise they will become soggy)before you put them into an airtight container.
For making spicy or Pani
1. Soak the tamarind pulup in one cup of warm for one hour.
2. Strain the tamarind residue out to get thick tamarind . While straining in the strainder mash the tamarind with the help of a spoon.
3. Put mint leaves, chopped coriander, ginger, chillies and dry roasted cumin seed.
4.Add a little and mix to a smooth consistency using a blender.
5. Put this thick paste into ta jug and add fill the jug with . ( Add the slowly and taste the mixture and if you want to dilute more then add .)
6. Add salt and black rock salt to taste. ( Black Salt or Kala Namak is an important ingredient in this )
7. Put it in the fridge to cool down.
To make Red Tamarind Chutney
1. Remove the seeds from tamarind and soak it in warm for one hour.
2. Meanwhile dry roast the cumin seeds and the cloves.
3. Pound them into coarse powder.
4. Now take the Tamarind pulp mixture , strain it and add jaggery, sugar, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, cloves and salt.
4. Put the mixture in a pan and heat for 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
Note that on cooling down it will thicken up a bit, consistency like thick cream is ok. otherwise you may want to add some warm .
6. On cooling, blend the contents in a blender
Now how to eat it. Do I have to tell you :-)