From The Kitchen Shelf - Ii
Garlic is a magical herb---- In earlier times, it was worn as an amulet against evil and now doctors respect it for its ability to protect against some diseases. Garlic contains thiamine and trace minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and zinc. Garlic may lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, combat infection and even stimulate the immune system. Chewing a clove of garlic gives you nutrition as the first benefit.
Some of the benefits of garlic are given below:
· Garlic reduces high blood pressure.
· Garlic is effective in curing toothaches.
· Garlic helps in cough treatment.
· Garlic reduces the high cholesterol.
· Garlic increases blood circulation.
· Garlic is beneficial in temporary impotence.
· Garlic inhibits the growth of tumours.
· Garlic helps in fighting infection.
· Garlic helps in regulating the blood glucose levels.
· Garlic is beneficial for pregnant women.
Turmeric is one of nature's most powerful healers. Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
· It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
· When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
· Reduces the risk of childhood leukaemia.
· Is a natural liver detoxifier.
· May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
· It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
· Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
· May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
· Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
· Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
· Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumours.
· Speeds up wound healing and assist in remodelling of damaged skin.
The following people should avoid the use of turmeric.
1. People with congestive heart disease whose cause remains unidentified.
2. People with painful gallstones, obstructive jaundice, acute bilious colic or extremely toxic liver disorders.
Turmeric – Beauty agent
Turmeric has several uses in beauty section.
1. Turmeric is a very effective remedy for skin disorders like spots, acne, dryness or discoloration.
2. Turmeric is often used in combination with sandalwood, and milk as a rejuvenating face pack that helps to improve the complexion when used regularly.
3. Turmeric is also used in production of several sunscreen lotions as well as herbal bleaching products.
Cloves are an aromatic herb that has many useful purposes. The aroma of the clove is pleasant yet spicy. Cloves has some medicinal purposes as well and it tastes good in certain dishes like spice cake. The aromatic oils of the clove have a stimulant and irritant effect.
· Cloves can increase blood circulation and raise a person's temperature slightly. The oils of the cloves have been known to stimulate and disinfect a body as it travels through the body.
· Clove can be used to promote the flow of saliva and gastric juices. If you have stomach pain or gas in the stomach then the use of cloves can help to relieve the stomach pain. You can prepare a cup of clove tea by taking a cup of boiling water and adding a teaspoon of clove powder to it. Then let the water and clove steep for a few minutes before you drink it. Clove tea has been known to relieve nausea and vomiting.
· When cloves are used externally on the body it can relieve the pain in chronic rheumatism, toothache and lumbago. Cloves can also help to relieve the pain of muscle cramps and some nerve conditions. You can apply clove oil along the nerve where the pain is.
· To deodorize a smelly drawer or closet you can put some cloves in a small container that is open and let it sit in the drawer or closet. Leave the container open and put it in a place that it will not spill. Or you can tie up a handful of cloves in a handkerchief and put it in a closet or drawer. The scent of cloves is pleasant and nice.
· Cloves are a very useful herb that has many uses for the body and the aroma. Cloves can be used to spice up foods like a ham or cake. Cloves can be purchased in a power form or it can be in a dried whole flower bud form. You can buy cloves in a grocery store in the spice section.