Fig Fruit Benefits
When it comes to nutritional fruits, figs can hold their place against any other fruit. This remarkable fruit has a history dating 5000 years and it is also the most widely mentioned fruit in the Bible and the Quran and also played a major part in Latin America. Originally cultivated in Western Asia, figs later spread throughout the world and now several countries grow figs. With their remarkable nutritional value figs have for long been a part of a healthy diet as they contain numerous types of vitamins and minerals. Eaten fresh or dried, figs offer an all out dense nutritional package that is hard to rival by any other fruits. Due to its ability to keep a number of ailments at bay the fig is also a regular feature in health magazines. Figs grow best in sunny climes. The fruit is small with colors ranging from green, crimson, and dark brown. The inside of the fruit is fleshy with numerous tiny seeds and is covered by a thin skin on the outside. Since it has got a very short shelf life, figs can only be stored through drying, but this doesn’t reduce its nutritional benefits in any way. Read below to learn more on the health benefits of the fig fruits. Health Benefits Of Fig Fruits
- Figs are very good in preventing constipation. Figs promote bowel function as every three grams of this fruit is loaded with five grams of fiber. It also prevents stomach ache and indigestion.
- For people who suffer from weight related issues figs can be their answer. The fiber in the figs helps in reducing weight when taken regularly.
- A type of fiber that is found in fig is pectin. Pectin is very good in absorbing cholesterol from the digestive system and carrying them out of the body. So, a regular diet of figs can help you cut down on your cholesterol.
- Figs are also rich in phenol, omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids. These compounds are natural heart boosters and so figs can contribute towards reducing the risk of coronary heart diseases.
- It is also believed that the fiber in figs absorb cancer causing substances, thus reducing the risk of various types of cancer. Figs are especially good in preventing colon and post-menopausal breast cancer.
- People suffering from diabetes should adopt a diet of high fiber. For this figs are especially good. This fruit is rich in potassium that controls which helps in controlling the blood sugar. Fig leaves are also known to have diabetic properties. The leaves effectively reduce the amount of insulin that is required by diabetic patients through injections.
- Hypertension is caused because of low levels of sodium and high levels of potassium in the body. Since figs are high in potassium and low in sodium it can avoid hypertension.
- Figs also have a high concentration of calcium and so it strengthens the bones. However, a high calcium diet can lead to urinary calcium loss and this is avoided by the potassium content of the figs.
- Age results in macular degeneration which leads to vision loss. A diet of figs prevents this.
- Sore throats can be effectively healed with figs as it also has high mucilage content.
- Figs are also known to boost the health of the liver.
- Figs are also high in alkaline and so they keep the body balanced because of the acidic diet by regulating the pH of the body.
- Figs can also heal various respiratory diseases like asthma and whooping cough. They are also good for earache, boils, venereal diseases and boils.