Bulimia Side Effects
It's 4 am in the morning and for the past 20 minutes you have been just thinking of one thing. In fact, you are so obsessed with the thought that you canít wait to get hold of the object of your satisfaction- food, right away. Picture this, you just devoured a big bowl of pasta and a tub of ice cream, and the next thing you know is that you are sitting in front of the television munching on a jumbo bag of potato wafers and sipping on coke. You are so over-involved with guilt later that you immediately rush to the bathroom and force yourself to throw up everything you had consumed, to make amends. Result? Bulimia. Believe it or not, this major psychological eating disorder, marked with excessive eating, self-induced purging, starving, over exercising and more, is apparently one of the biggest threats to our well-being and is more common in women than in men. Here excessive binging is always accompanied with bouts of guilt and series of medical complications. Here is a compiled list of some of the major side effects of bulimia. Run down this list to learn more about them.
Side Effects Of Bulimia
- If you have yellow and stained teeth and are not sure why, you may in fact, need to pay more attention to your vicious binging and purging cycle. Buy it or not, throwing up frequently can tarnish your teeth enamel, leaving you with terrible looking eroded teeth. A bulimic person is likely to have yellow stained teeth, sooner or later as well as suffer from severe Ďhalitosisí. The only way to battle this oral blight is to brush your teeth every time you are done with throwing up.
- Over binging can leave a bulimic patient with a puffy face and swollen eyes. But beware! A bloated face and puffed eyes arenít always the symptoms of being overweight as most people make it out to be. Extreme purging can at times rupture the tiny blood vessels, leaving your face look puffed-up.
- Binge-eating wonít get you anywhere, but right into the sick bed! Overstuffing yourself with food is a terrible idea because the body doesnít absorb the extra food that you consume. This can eventually lead to deficiency of vitamins in the body. Result? Hair loss, weakness, dark under eyes and more! People who suffer from bulimia often suffer from chronic weakness due to this.
- Forcing yourself to purge after every meal can exert a good deal of stress on your valves and heart muscles. This can trigger an uncomfortable burning sensation in your chest, resulting in a severe heartburn as well.
- Foraging your fridge every now and then for food and wolfing out on them and later forcing yourself to throw up can leave you feeling glum, down and stressed. Itís clinically proven that people who suffer from bulimia suffer from restlessness, stress and anxiety. Thus, abrupt behavior is deemed as one of the major side effects of bulimia.
- People suffering from bulimia tend to eat all the time, irrespective of whether they are hungry or not. As a result, it gets hard for them to concentrate on anything else but food. You are likely to see a bulimic person always looking around for something to eat, or craving desperately for a much.
- Over-eating is always followed by a feeling of deep guilt that can leave a bulimic person on the threshold of self-esteem issues. A bulimic person is likely to be a loner and prefer solitude than going out and meeting with people. Other bulimia side effects are extreme feelings, depression, low confidence and inability to eat with others.