Benefits Of Tomato
Tomato - fruit or vegetable? This is one of the greatest confusions surrounding the eatable, in the present times. Though technically a fruit, tomato is used as a vegetable for cooking purposes. Whatever be their use, tomatoes have been known to comprise of a number of important nutrients and are believed to accord a number of nutritional benefits to their users. Infact, tomatoes are said to diminish the risk of a number of fatal ailments, like cancer and heart attack. Through the following lines, we intend to help you understand the fruit better, by listing its nutritional value and health benefits. So, just go through the following lines and increase your knowledge about tomatoes. Nutritional Value of Tomato Tomato has been known to comprise of the following nutrients:
Tomatoes have also been associated with low content of calories, fats and sodium. Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Tomatoes
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Lycopene (an antioxidant)
- Some amounts of Phosphorus, Sulfur and Potassium
- The presence of antioxidants in tomatoes is said to be helpful in cleansing toxic compounds from the body.
- Lycopene, present in tomatoes, has been known to neutralize free radicals in the body and cut the risk of prostate cancer.
- Those who eat raw tomatoes have been found to be at a much lesser risk of developing rectal, colon or stomach cancer.
- It is believed that tomatoes block the effects of nitrosamines and thus, reduce the risk of lung cancer.
- Researches have suggested that eating tomatoes might help reduce the risk of heart attack.
- The vitamin K present in tomatoes helps in keeping the bones strong and healthy. It also helps prevent hemorrhages.
- Consuming raw tomato on a regular basis can help improve the texture of your skin and add glow.
- Tomatoes have been recognized throughout the world, for their blood purifying properties.
- If you are suffering from congestion of the liver, having tomatoes will prove to be quite beneficial.
- Tomato is known to help protect the liver from cirrhosis and can dissolve gallstones as well.
- Being a natural antiseptic, tomatoes can help protect the body against various common infections.
- The nicotinic acid in tomatoes is credited with reducing blood cholesterol, which in turn helps keep heart diseases at bay.
- Studies have shown that consumption of tomatoes and tomato based products may prevent serum lipid oxidation and reduce the risk of macular degenerative disease.
- When applied topically, tomato pulp can help heal sunburn, wounds and sores.
- Tomatoes can also help the body prevent diarrhea and soothe eye irritation as well.
- Tomatoes have been found to have positive effects in case of ailments like constipation, diabetes, indigestion, intestinal disorders and jaundice.
- Pregnant women, suffering from morning sickness, will benefit from tomato consumption.
- If you are suffering from liver disorders, night blindness, obesity and urinary tract infection, try having tomatoes everyday.