Benefits Of Longan
Touted as the poorer cousin of the more admired lychee and affectionately referred to as its ‘little brother’ the importance of longan is less inconsequential than its other varieties. Also popular as dragon’s eye or eyeball, this trivial looking fruit has more to claim than just its tropical status. This thin yellow-brown leathery fruit with juicy translucent flesh and a single seed has been a cherished fruit in China for centuries now and have served as a premier ingredient in most oriental and Asiatic cuisines. Native to China and South East Asia, this musky, juicy and sweet fruit outranks most tropical foods in taste and smell and comes loaded with delightful nutritional benefits and health perks. This humble looking fruit that generally grows in clusters is administered as a stomachic, febrifuge and vermifuge, and is touted high as an antidote for poison. In South Vietnam, the longan seed is used to treat snake bites and paralyze the effect of poison in the body. Everything, right from its kernel to fat is known to aid the body in many ways.
Nutrition & Health Benefits of Eating Longan:
- The fragrant, succulent and sweet longans have more health benefits to their advantage than known to most of us. One of the lesser-known advantages of longans is that this fleshy tropical fruit can be consumed to ward off every kind of stomach ache and infections and boosts immunity too.
- These far-off cousins of lychees are known to do wonders for the nervous system and are touted big as an anti-depressant. Not only do they have a calming effect on the nerves, they are known to boost nerve function, reduce irritability and bring down fatigue. Longans are also known to cure insomnia and neurasthenic neurosis.
- Longans are known to boost wound healing and increase longevity. It helps to fight against the free radicals in the body and protect the cell from damage. What’s more, they is also known to lower the risk of certain types of cancer and boost cell production too.
- Longans are known to replenish blood and are excellent cure for anemia. They are also known to boost iron absorption in the body.
- Longans are believed to benefit cardiac heath too. By reducing tension and fatigue, they provide relief in heart problems and play a crucial role to keep the blood pressure in check.
- Lush longans are known to do wonders for the skin too. They are popular as an anti-ageing fruit and are known to boost skin health too. Longan is especially found to benefit the skin around the eyes, reduce cracking and peeling of skin and improve complexion too.
- This tasty, sweet fruit is known to benefit vision, cure gums and teeth problems and also deal effectively with oral sores and cracks.