Benefits Of Eggs
Eggs are probably one of the most nutritious foods that easily find space on every supermarket shelf round the world. Apart from being inexpensive, they are delicious and packed with a wealth of essential components required by the body. In fact, they act as a nutritional powerhouse and can help the body to prevent as well as get rid of different ailments. Eating a raw egg is similar to consuming a good health tonic, whereas having boiled eggs is equally beneficent. Many people also love to poach or scramble eggs for breakfast, which too offers a wonderful nutritional package right in your plate. Read on to know more about eggs, including its nutritional value and health benefits. Nutritional Value of Eggs Enumerated below is the amount of nutrients present in a medium-sized egg (without shell)
Health & Nutritional Benefits of Eating Eggs
- Water - 38.8 g
- Energy - 324 kJ/ 78 kcal
- Protein - 6.5 g
- Fat - 5.8 g
- Inc saturated f.a - 1.7 g
- Monounsaturated f.a - 2.3 g
- Sodium - 72 mg
- Potassium - 67 mg
- Calcium - 29 mg
- Phosphorus - 103 mg
- Magnesium - 6.2 mg
- Iron - 1.0 mg
- Zinc - 0.7 mg
- Copper - 0.04 mg
- Iodine - 27 μg
- Chlorine - 83 mg
- Sulphur - 93 mg
- Selenium - 6 μg
- Vitamin A - 98 μg
- Vitamin D - 0.9 μ
- Vitamin E - 0.57 mg
- Thiamin (B1) - 0.05 mg
- Riboflavin (B2) - 0.24 mg
- Niacin - 0.05 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.06 mg
- Folate - 26 μg
- Vitamin B12 - 1.3 μg
- Biotin - 10 μg
- Eggs are rich source of high-quality protein and amino acids that are indispensable for a healthy body.
- Due to presence of carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin, eggs check macular degeneration caused by ageing.
- Eggs also defend and improve eyesight by preventing diseases like cataract.
- Due to high vitamin D content, consuming eggs gives rise to strong and healthy bones.
- Eggs are also rich sources of vitamin E that is important for combating free radicals and ensuring cell protection.
- Eggs also contain phosphorus that helps in the development of healthy teeth and bones.
- Iron present in eggs helps in the formation of red blood corpuscles (RBC’s) in the body.
- Zinc present in eggs aids in normal functioning of the immune system.
- Consuming eggs prevents different types of cancers, including breast cancer.
- According to various researches, eggs facilitate weight loss and thus help to stay in shape.
- Due to high sulphur content and presence of many vitamins and minerals, eating eggs helps in the promotion of healthy hair and nails.
- Chlorine that forms an essential component of eggs, boosts memory power and brain functioning.
- An important antioxidant called selenium is also found in eggs that curbs damages caused by unrestrained oxidation in the body, and thus prevents blood clots, strokes and heart attacks.