Benefits Of Caraway Seeds
Caraway, also known as Meridian Fennel or Persian Cumin, is a biennial herb with a fleshy root and slender, branched stems. Its feather-like leaves are divided into very narrow segments. The plant bears small white flowers. The dried fruits, brown in color and hard and sharp to touch, are consumed as seeds. Caraway seeds have a pleasant odor, aromatic flavor and sharp taste and give a warm feeling when kept in the mouth. Although the seeds are native to Western Asia, Europe and Northern Africa, they are cultivated in various parts across the world. The plant is cultivated wild in the north Himalayan region in India. It is cultivated as a winter plant on the plains and as a summer crop at altitudes of 2740 to 3660 meters, in Kashmir, Kumaon, Garhwal and Chamba. Caraway seeds are used in perfumes, soaps and lotions, as a fragrance component. Read on further to learn about the health and nutrition benefits of eating caraway seeds and explore its nutritional value as well.
Nutrition & Health Benefits Of Eating Caraway Seeds
- Caraway seeds are used to relieve indigestion, cold, cough, fever, throat infections, appetite loss and gall bladder problems.
- The seeds strengthen the functions of the stomach. They also provide quick relief from flatulence.
- They form an excellent house cleaner for the body and increase the action of the kidneys.
- Caraway seeds help to maintain proper heart beat rate, strengthen cardiac muscles, prevent hardening of arteries and veins, lower blood pressure and bring down cholesterol level in the blood, thus helping the heart from all sides.
- Caraway seed oil is used as an anthelmintic, which helps in removing hookworms from the intestines.
- The oil is a good disinfectant and antiseptic and effectively cures infections of colon, digestive system, respiratory system, urinary and excretory system and external infections as well.
- Caraway oil, when mixed with alcohol and castor oil, is extremely helpful in the treatment of scabies.
- The oil helps in increasing milk for lactating mothers, as it enhances both the quantity and the quality of milk.
- Oral intake of caraway seed oil is useful in overcoming bad breath or insipid taste.
- It is useful for ladies suffering from delayed or obstructed menstruations, as it opens up menstruation and gives relief.
- Caraway seed tea is prepared by adding 1 to 2 teaspoon of seeds to 150 ml of boiling water. Steep the water for 10 to 15 minutes and strain. Consume the tea 1 to 3 times per day.
- You can also boil caraway seeds in milk or tea. It serves as a tonic for pregnant women.
- Nursing mothers should consume caraway seed oil with honey, to increase the milk production.
- Dilute a spoon of caraway seed oil in warm water. Add a pinch of plain or black salt and consume to cure all sorts of indigestion. It will also speed up digestion by stimulating the secretion of gastric juices, acids and bile into the stomach.
- Caraway seeds are used to flavor breads, biscuits, cakes and cheese. They are also used as a seasoning and pickling spice.
- Caraway seed oil, when consumed in large doses and for longer periods, is said to damage kidneys and liver.
- Overdose of caraway seeds by pregnant women can lead to miscarriages.