Benefits Of Black Walnut
Scientifically known as Juglans Nigra, black walnut is a dark-colored heartwood tree that is native to North American states of Florida, Texas and Dakotas, and Ontario in Canada. Also known as American walnut, butternut, oilnut, English walnut, and imperial nut, the black walnut has been used to treat different ailments since ages. Its tree stands 70 to 150 feet tall, having a diameter of 2 to 4 feet. The large, pinnate compound leaves are 12 to 14 inches long, with 15 to 23 leaflets. The tree is famous for its beautiful wood and tasty nuts that are harvested in the autumn. Read on further to know about the health and nutrition benefits of eating black walnuts.
Nutrition & Health Benefits Of Eating Black Walnuts
- Black walnuts contain an active ingredient called tannin, which is antibacterial, anticancer, antidiarrheic, antihepatotoxic, chelator, antihypertensive, antitumor, cancer preventive and antiulcer.
- They decrease inflammation and reduce the level of substances that block the arteries, thus maintaining the normal functioning of arteries.
- Black walnuts help in promoting heart health and reducing the chances of heart attacks and strokes.
- They also help in lowering high cholesterol levels, thus ensuring a healthy heart.
- Black walnuts are considered to be great for the circulatory system, as they aid the circulation of blood throughout the body.
- Since they contain omega-3 fatty acids, they help in treating conditions like asthma, high blood pressure and preventing cancer.
- The dry outer covering of black walnut i.e. its hull helps in getting rid of tapeworms and intestinal parasites.
- The hull powder also helps in treating skin conditions like acne, blisters, eczema and ringworm.
- Black walnut powder, when taken in the capsule form, helps in the proper functioning of thyroid gland.
- Black walnuts are applied externally to treat psoriasis, canker sores, jock itch, athlete’s foot, scabbing pruritus, varicose ulcers and syphilis sores.
- They prove very useful in treating black oak rashes.
- Their extract is taken internally to aid disorders such as rheumatism, gout, and glandular disturbances and those ailments that occur due to parasites.
- Black walnut extract is used for curing different intestinal disorders like constipation.