Aromatherapy is a therapy where essential oils from a variety of herbs, plants, fruits, and flowers are used. These oils can bring about positive changes in psychological and physical well being. Scent can be very influential, for example: Certain scents can lift your mood and trigger memories while others can disgust you. One can even remember a person with his/her scent. Many people consider essential oils as perfumes, but that is not true. A perfume may smell very nice but it is just a collection of synthetic chemicals while all the essential oils are natural unless the manufacturer mixes chemicals in them to increase their quantity. It is believed that essential oils are very powerful oils and one should have proper understanding of its safe use before using them in any manner. Improper use may have some negative effects on the body and mind. Also pregnant women are advised to avoid the few essential oils like basil, cinnamon, cypress, clary sage, eucalyptus, marjoram, jasmine, myrrh, rosemary, peppermint, or any blends containing these oils. People believe that aromatherapy oils can naturally heal the body, mind and soul. Read on to know more about the various benefits of aromatherapy oils. Benefits Of Aromatherapy Oils:
- Aromatherapy could aid in curing asthma. Clary Sage, Frankincense, Cypress, Marjoram, Rosemary and Thyme are essential oils that are considered to be most useful in curing asthma. These oils can be used with vaporizers or during steam inhalation.
- Aromatherapy is also very helpful in combating dementia. Everyone knows that anxiety and confusion takes over dementia patients. This anxiety and confusion can be reduced with an aromatic oil massage.
- Cancer patients are treated with aromatherapy massages. It helps in reducing anxiety and fatigue in cancer patients. This massage can also help in treating nausea and gives the mind and body relaxation.
- Children suffering from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis can be helped with aromatherapy oil massage. Juniper oil is extracted from berries and is very useful in reducing arthritis. Juniper is also considered to be an antiseptic and stimulator.
- Aromatherapy massage can help improve the attentiveness in children who are suffering from autism. Essential oils like eucalyptus, peppermint; sandalwood and Roman chamomile are supposed to be very helpful in reducing autism.
- Essential oils like eucalyptus can help in respiratory system diseases by enhancing deep breathing. It is also recommended for muscle aches and pains.
- Lung and genitor-urinary complaints, chronic diarrhea, ulcers, breast cysts and excessive menstruation can be cured to an extent with essential oils like frankincense. It can also be used on mature skin, fungal infections, acne, scars and boils.
- Lavender and Marjoram are the essential oils that stimulate sleep and are amazingly beneficial for insomniacs.
- PMS symptoms, stress related conditions and nervous tension can be relieved with the help of essential oils like geranium. It also helps repair broken capillaries, cuts, eczema, etc. It is also very well known for its use in skin care products since it balances both properties of oily and dry skins.
- Patchouli oil is proved to have a very beneficial effect on the skin, helping with insect bites and infections. It also helps with stress related problems and addictions.
- Rose oil is good for headache, stress related conditions, insomnia, nervous tension, and nausea. It can also be used to fix broken capillaries, dry skin, and poor circulation.
- Peppermint oil is used in treating asthma, colic, cramps, nausea, colds, fevers, fainting, mental fatigue, headaches, flatulence and nausea. It may also help to reduce or eliminate apathy, migraines, shock, fainting spells, vertigo and nervous stress.
- Jasmine oil has a long tradition of being used during childbirth as a supportive and relaxing remedy. It is also used for skincare in helping sensitive, dry and irritated skin.
- Tea tree oil has strong disinfectant, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial attributes.
- Rosemary oil is very effective for circulation problems, mental fatigue, pain reliever for muscular system and can also help congested skin and respiratory tracts.
- Many aroma therapists use sweet orange oil to treat obesity, muscular tension, water retention, colds, and bronchitis, stress related symptoms and constipation.
- Sandalwood oil is very warming and relaxing. It is also well known for its skin healing properties and moisturizing.