13 Reasons To Drink Green Tea
Green tea has multiple antioxidants or catechins, however, one called EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate) is what scientists are focused on. These catechins destroy free radicals and have far-reaching positive effects on the entire body. EGCG is the ďsuperĒ antioxidant believed to be 100 more times more effective than vitamin C and 25 times more effective than vitamin E at protecting cells and DNA from damage. Thatís pretty powerful stuff.
Green tea leaves go through less processing than oolong and black teas so it actually retains more antioxidants. Oolong and black teas are fermented while green tea leaves are steamed. Below is a hand-wrapped jasmine green tea called dragonís tears that used to drink in Hong Kong.
Green tea also has an amino acid called theanine, that gives the tea its mellow taste. It helps deliver glucose to the brain. When the brain is lacking in glucose, thatís when we all get moody. Green tea helps keep us calm and less stressed. Most green teas sold in the US have lower amounts of theanine so there is some skepticism that youíd see too much benefit, though some people seem to believe itís enough.
13 Benefits Of Drinking Green Tea
1. Helps with hangovers. I know this from personal experience and itís probably due to replenishing depleted antioxidants.
2. Treats rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Reduces risk of esophageal cancer.
4. Helps with weight loss.
5. Helps lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol.
6. Antioxidants serve as dialators which improve the flexibility of blood vessels and make them less vulnerable to clogging.
7. Balances hormone levels resulting in lower stress.
8. Helps prevent acne.
9. May help prevent/slow Alzheimers and Dementia.
10. May lower risk of stroke (black tea too).
11. May lower risk of diabetes (black tea too) and diabetic cataracts.
12. May help prevent hair loss, but data is sketchy.
13. Reduces stress, as mentioned above..