Why All Panj Piyare Are Men ?

itsjatt

~~K@ROR@$!NGH!Y@~~
WJKK WJKF to all,

Here is Question to you all, Does anyone know why all the Panj Piyare who do the sewa for AMRIT or AMRITSANCHAR are men ?

Sikhism always believe that MEN and WOMEN are equal.

So Why is this inequality there ?

I know the answer to this question but am posting the thread so all can share their views and ppl who aren't aware can gain some knowledge.

Thanks to all in advance

prinzdude

Good question...

Why Panj Pyare are Males now, Its very simple...

Because, orginalluy, panj pyare were males..

Although, Females can also be panj pyara's.. See the pic:

This is no inequality... Its just the norm as originally panj pyara's were males, thats why they do amritsanchar..

prinzdude

Also consider this:

The Sikh Rehit Maryada in its English version, on page 33, Ceremony of Baptism and Initiation - Article XXIV, clause (b) already takes very good care of the issue. It clearly states that, "At the place where ambrosial baptism is to be administered, the holy Guru Granth Sahib should be installed and ceremonially opened. Also present should be six committed baptized Sikhs, one of whom should sit in attendance of the Guru Granth Sahib and the other five should be there to administer the ambrosial baptism. These six may even include Sikh women. All of them must have taken bath and washed their hair.

itsjatt

~~K@ROR@$!NGH!Y@~~
Thanks for the comment and the good answer is "This is no inequality... Its just the norm as originally panj pyara's were males, thats why they do amritsanchar.." and commenting upon the pic i would say i was just talking abt amrit sanchar only and further more during sanchar a lady can do seva on granth sahib but doesnt take part in actual process being the 6th person. Because its the tradition....simply no inequality but tradition as all the panj payare were men....its more like why didnt a bibi came through when GGSG asked for a HEAD its wasnt like he was asking for a MAN HEAD..haha..but ya coz its just the tradition....

prinzdude

Since the congregation of 1699' baisakhi day was quite a big one with sikh sangat coming in large numbers at Anandpur sahib. For such a large sangat, a lot of Langar may have been prepared..

Traditionally and culturally, women are more active in cooking, so some experts believe this to be the reason for presence of few females in the event as they may have been busy in preparing langar for the sangat..

There are many Ifs and Buts, and the matter of the fact is that History has taken its due course...

full_taur

No. I have seen the women 5 piyaras as well and I have seen women doing amrit sanchar as well.

As pointed out, the 5 piaras should be a proper sikh, a guru da sikh and sikh can be MEN or WOMEN without any indiscrimination.

reshmi_mutiyar

LITTLE KITTEN
No. I have seen the women 5 piyaras as well and I have seen women doing amrit sanchar as well.

As pointed out, the 5 piaras should be a proper sikh, a guru da sikh and sikh can be MEN or WOMEN without any indiscrimination.
nice answer------ who was the leader president of the SGPC elected in September 2004. - was it a man or a woman- JAGIR KAUR

women r coming forward now- taking important posts in sikh religion- i myself m a learner in the early chapters of my learning of my religion, but i'm sure guru gobind singh ji when asking 4 five ppl to come forward did not descriminate AT ALL--- IT JUST HAPPENED THAT 5 TO COME FORWARD WERE MALES------- i think sikh religious leaders r too naive to use females as a members of 5 piyare--- to me it doesnt matter-- i look at it being 5 sikhs----regardless what gender they are