what does KAUR mean??

hi all

i agree with full_taur that it's not imp to know the meaning but the philosophy behind it.
i feel pity when i see our punjabi people talking to other punjabis in English or hindi rather than in their own mother tongue Punjabi.
i always observe that when a south indian or a maharashtrian meets another person of their region they immediately switch over to their mother tongue but in case of punjabis they feel proud in speaking other languages and not their own mother tongue.

so friends pl try to give respect to our mother tongue. as it is our punjabi culture is being forgotten by most of us.

thanks

Read this very good article

The importance of Kaur

Its not important to know what Singh & kaur means, but whats important is why were we made SINGHS and KAURS and what was the philosphy behind it.

hi all

i agree with full_taur that it's not imp to know the meaning but the philosophy behind it.
i feel pity when i see our punjabi people talking to other punjabis in English or hindi rather than in their own mother tongue Punjabi.
i always observe that when a south indian or a maharashtrian meets another person of their region they immediately switch over to their mother tongue but in case of punjabis they feel proud in speaking other languages and not their own mother tongue.

so friends pl try to give respect to our mother tongue. as it is our punjabi culture is being forgotten by most of us.

thanks

mainu lagda ej jeri utte likhi aa , oh angreji aaa :wacko:wacko:wacko

Jus

Filhaal..
hi all

thanks

pehle apne aap nu check karao dujya di gal baacho karyo..theek aa

onlycheema

Banned
bacheyo khoon thanda rakheyaa karo.....simmi_alpine ne es layi likheyaa hona angreji ch taaki saareyaan nu samjh aa jaavey....punjabi naa aaundi hovey parr angreji jaroor aaundi hundi sabb nu.....baaki aapan nu matbal taa pata ni emein kujh puthha sidhha aakhiye.

pehle apne aap nu check karao dujya di gal baacho karyo..theek aa
mainu lagda hai ke is post wich jihna nu mere english wich jawab den to itraj hai oh pehla apniyaan akhaan test karaon te dekhan ke ih topic angreji wich shuru hoiya si te jinne lokaan ne jawab ditte si oh mostly angreji wich si.

DJBALLI te JAS nu shayad angreji parni nahi aundi ise layi oh kuchch lines samaj nahi sake...... but in case of punjabis they feel proud in speaking other languages and not their own mother tongue.

te ise lai shayad oh speaking punjabi te writing punjabi da difference nahi samajh sake.

main umeed kardi haan ke next time oh kise nu point out karan to pehle apne manje thali jhati maar len kyonki jas ji, apne id de naal likhde han...
I Mean Business

te djbally ji likhde han...
Da Undisputed King Of UGB.

main puchchna chahangi ke ih signature lines english wich nahi haan????
moreover DJ word punjabi da nahi balki angreji da hai...

so next time if you want to post any comment in any of the posts please be watchful and give fruitful ideas rather than pulling someone's leg..

i hope people will pay attention to this.

Singh means hunda hai . . . .sher
te kaur da matlab hunda hai. . .maharajdi dhe(kuri). . . .es layi kudiya "kaur"word use kardia ne. . lolz

Ramta

-

as we all knw tht SINGH means sher (lion).. i was wondering tht what must KAUR mean????

The literal meaning of the word 'Kaur' is Prince. It is believed to be
a derivative of the word 'Kanwar' meaning Prince, whereas, 'Singh'
is derived from the word 'Simha' meaning lion. It is rather interesting
to note, that even Male Sikhs in the past have used (and possibly even
today use) 'Kaur' in their names...

Example : Akali Kaur Singh, a male Sikh member of the Shiromani
Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee involved in writing of the Code of
Conduct and Conventions in 1931 and 1932 used the name Kaur.

"The Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee had constituted a
sub-committee comprising the under mentioned gentlemen for preparing
a draft of code of conduct and conventions to enable it to determine and
prescribe a proper set of conventions for Gurudwaras (Sikh places of
worship): Giani Thakar Singh, Amritsar; Giani Sher Singh; Bhai Budh
Singh; Akali Kaur Singh; Sant Sangat Singh of Kamaliya;..."
http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/introduction.html

Sikh male, Bhai Kaur Singh Chakkar, helped free thousands
of abducted girls during the 1947 India-Pakistan partition riots.

- -

Just like Kaur, Kanwar has been used by both men and women.
The Mewar Encyclopedia includes these references :

Dhan Kanwar, Rani, (queen) of Jodhpur
Devidas, Kunwar, 11th son of Maharana Raimal (1473-1509)
http://www.mewarindia.com/ency/ency.html

In 1699, Sikh Women were given the last name 'Kaur' and and Men 'Singh'
by Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru of the Sikhs. This initiate intended
to end the caste system, social stratification and much of the apparatus of
Hindu ritual and legalism. In Indian society, an individual's name reveals
his or her caste, and Sikhs were freed from the caste system by having
all men incorporate Singh in their names and all women, Kaur.

Based on the premises of gender equality, Kaur was also given to Sikh Women
to establish an identity independent of their father or husband.

Thanks

-