Sikhs can carry kirpans to London Olympics

Jeet4560

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News
Sikhs can carry kirpans to London Olympics
Shyam Bhatia in London

SIKHS worldwide have been reassured that they will be allowed to take their kirpans into London’s Olympics venues next summer.
Carrying kirpans has been a controversial security issue, but an Olympics official said over the week-end that a multi-faith policy was in operation and that the aim was to make the Games as widely accessible as possible.
In a concession to security concerns, other officials say Sikhs who wished to carry their kirpans to various sporting sites might also have to prove they were fully observant by displaying the remaining four “Ks” of their faith, “kara”, “kesh”, “kanga” and “kachchaira”.
The issue of the kirpan was first raised last March by the UK-based Sikh Federation which contacted Lord Coe, the head of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, inviting him to speak to members.
In his response, Lord Coe said, “Thank you for your letter and kind invitation to speak to the Sikh community. I am grateful for the invitation and I would love to be able to help, but sadly I have immovable London 2012 commitments on Tuesday March 22.
“However, on the issue of kirpan, we have been very clear. At Games-time, small symbolic ceremonial daggers (an article of faith with a maximum blade length of 3 inches) carried for religious reasons will be allowed. We have worked closely with the Sikh Community and the Metropolitan Police on our plans in this area, and published this statement on our website and I would appreciate your help in communicating this to your federation. “The Sikh community has played a major role from the outset of the bid to host the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympic Games in London. For three years now, LOCOG has worked closely with the Sikh community representatives on our Faith Reference Group, our forum to discuss and agree our approach to faith-related issues.

“I look forward to that group continuing its work over the next 18 months.” Lord Coe’s comment at the time was seen as an informal acknowledgement of the Sikh community’s active role in lobbying for London rather than Paris to be chosen as the site for the 2012 Olympics. The Sikhs rejected Paris because of the French Government’s policy to ban the carrying of religious symbols in public places.
In a further concession to Sikh visitors and participants, the London Olympics organisers are understood to have agreed that the length of the kirpan blade is irrelevant, so long as the sheath is no longer than six inches.
A spokesman for the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) told The Tribune, “It has been agreed that the kirpan can be brought in by spectators, athletes and workforce alike as long as the length of the sheath (not including the hilt) is no longer than 6 inches.
“The policy has been set by the LOCOG security team, which liaised with wider stakeholders, and is part of our multi-faith approach. The kirpan will be presented at security, but it will not be unsheathed. Wearing the kirpan alongside other articles of faith is both an everyday occurrence for the Sikhs and an important part of observing their faith.” Asked if Muslim women athletes would be allowed to wear the hijab during the Games, the spokesman responded, “Spectators and athletes are allowed to wear hijabs in the Olympic Park and 2012 venues. The issue of athletes being allowed to wear hijabs when competing is a matter for the respective international sporting federations.”

MATTER OF FAITH
  • The sheath shouldn’t be longer than 6 inches
  • The person carrying the “kirpan” will have to display the remaining 4 “Ks” of his faith, namely “kara”, “kesh”, “kanga” and “kachchaira”
  • The kirpan will be presented at security, but it will not be unsheathe