Sikh woman laughs off facial hair taunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Balpreet-Kaur.jpg

A Sikh US student's dignified response to a tasteless post making fun of her facial hair has earned her a legion of fans.

A man took a photo of Balpreet Kaur and uploaded onto Reddit in the 'funny' category with the tagline 'im (sic) not sure what to conclude from this', Daily Mail reported on Wednesday. The aspiring neurosurgeon discovered the picture - which shows her standing in a queue - and, instead of flying into a rage at the person behind the cheap dig, she posted a comment explaining why she didn't remove her hair.

Balpreet, an Ohio State University student, said, "I'm not embarrassed or even humiliated by the attention (negative and positve) that this picture is getting because, it's who I am. Yes, I'm a baptised Sikh woman with facial hair. Yes, I realize that my gender is often confused and I look different than most women."

She refused to attack the person who had posted the photo, which many viewers accused of being mean and deliberately trying to draw laughs at Balpreet's expense. Balpreet said to the original poster that if he had wanted a picture he should have just asked and she would have smiled.[/img]

Sadhu

Balpreet Kaur is a sophomore at the Ohio State University, where she is studying both
Neuroscience and Psychology. She hopes to become a neurosurgeon, research the effect
of social stigma on the progression of mental disorders in developing countries, and hopefully,
open a few free clinics in Africa.

Balpreet Kaur says dat her turban n her faith inspire her to b different n to initiate dialogue wid othrs.

She says dat she finds herself reading everything n anything in her spare time,
meditating, baking vegan deserts, and thinking about the profundities of life.

-

MY TAKE :
What she's doing may warrant a little praise from some ppl but it's far from inspirational.
This whole comedy makes me sikh... oops... sick. What she's doing in no way places her
in a higher position. She's a woman n a woman hving a beard is just a freak of nature,
not Gods will.

I'm merely providing my own perspective on this issue. I'm a male, n though from a sikh background,
I cut my hair and I have no problems shaving n certainly don't feel guilt in doing so. Now, to get the
obvious out of the way, dis woman may b extremely brave, n I admire her for dat, but d uncut hair
principle doesn't make sense. Consider this. If i'm not mistaken, it was only d final living Guru who
insisted on this principle.

Altough Balpreet is brave for holding to her principles, I think it's worth saying dat
other women r certainly not weak for shaving or whatever to fit in better into society.
There is nothing wrong with doing that either.

It's the amount of good you do in life dat counts.
Guru Nanak (founder of d Skih religion) did not invent d principle of uncut hair.
Never once did he say that this was important. This should be considered.

-

Sadhu

She probably is under pressure from her family.
N if she is doing it for fears God then she's weak.
I'm sure she never read d Shri Guru Granth Sahib.

I wud luv to talk to her. Is she on facebook?

-

Royal Singh

Prime VIP
She probably is under pressure from her family.
N if she is doing it for fears God then she's weak.
I'm sure she never read d Shri Guru Granth Sahib.

I wud luv to talk to her. Is she on facebook?

-

I'm sorry for interruption here but you can't do anything except keep calm where I believe whatever she did was correct. If you contact her I'm sure she won't change perhaps respect her decision.

Sadhu

I'm sorry for interruption here but you can't do anything except keep calm where I believe whatever
she did was correct. If you contact her I'm sure she won't change perhaps respect her decision.

-
She may not change her decision now but she's an educated woman n it's only a matter of time
b4 she realises the irony behing proving her bravery n courage by blindly following smthing
that even d Guru-Granth doesn't so much as mention. She'll kno soon enuf dat d tenth Guru's
5 K's doctrine was merely motivated by d socio-political reality of his times. The Jhatka doctrine
for example was merely a rebellion against d halaal doctrine. She's merely trying to prove
smthing she will soon realise she needn't, n dat ther is no courage in blindly following dogma's..
Balpreet will realise dat it's not weakness to change with the times. Now she's ignorant.
She doesn't kno what d guru granth says abt kesh.
Kabir preet ik se kiyo aan dudhiya jaaee
bhave lambe kesh marai bhave tu gharari mundayee

It's true that most of d Sikh r sikh bcoz their parents forced, or even emotionally blackmailed, them in to.

-

Singh-a-lion

Prime VIP

ਕਬੀਰਪ੍ਰੀਤਿਇਕਸਿਉਕੀਏਆਨਦੁਬਿਧਾਜਾਇ॥

ਹੇ ਕਬੀਰ!ਆਨ = ਹੋਰ, 'ਦੁਨੀਆ' ਵਾਲੀ। ਦੁਬਿਧਾ = ਦੁਚਿਤਾ-ਪਨ, ਸਹਿਮ। ਜਾਇ = ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।ਹੇ ਕਬੀਰ! ('ਦੁਨੀਆ' ਵਾਲਾ) ਹੋਰ ਹੋਰ ਸਹਿਮ ਤਦੋਂ ਹੀ ਦੂਰ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੇ ਇੱਕ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਪਿਆਰ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਏ।

ਭਾਵੈਲਾਂਬੇਕੇਸਕਰੁਭਾਵੈਘਰਰਿਮੁਡਾਇ॥੨੫॥

ਭਾਵੈ = ਚਾਹੇ। ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ = (ਸੁਆਹ ਮਲ ਮਲ ਕੇ) ਜਟਾਂ ਵਧਾ ਲੈ (ਤੇ 'ਦੁਨੀਆ' ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਬਾਹਰ ਡੇਰਾ ਜਾ ਕਰ)। ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ = ਸਿਰ ਉੱਕਾ ਹੀ ਮੁਨਾ ਕੇ ਰੋਡ ਮੋਡ ਸਾਧੂ ਬਣ ਕੇ 'ਦੁਨੀਆ' ਤਿਆਗ ਦੇਹ। ਕੀਏ = ਜੇ ਕੀਤੀ ਜਾਏ ॥੨੫॥(ਜਦ ਤਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨਾਲ ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਜੋੜੀ ਜਾਂਦੀ, 'ਦੁਨੀਆ' ਵਾਲੀ 'ਦੁਬਿਧਾ' ਮਿਟ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦੀ) ਚਾਹੇ (ਸੁਆਹ ਮਲ ਕੇ) ਲੰਮੀਆਂ ਜਟਾਂ ਰਖ ਲੈ, ਚਾਹੇ ਉੱਕਾ ਹੀ ਸਿਰ ਰੋਡ-ਮੋਡ ਕਰ ਲੈ (ਅਤੇ ਜੰਗਲਾਂ ਜਾਂ ਤੀਰਥਾਂ ਤੇ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਡੇਰਾ ਲਾ ਲੈ) ॥੨੫॥

Kai din ho gaye sala ehhi pangti le k betha c. Le kabir ji di vichaar.

Sadhu

-
U r wrong singh-a-lion.
It simply says bhave lambe kesh marai, bhave tu gharari mundaee.
It;'s simple language even an 8 yr old boy can comprehend.
Bhave lambe kesh marai, bhave tu gharari mundaee

-
-
She may not change her decision now but she's an educated woman n it's only a matter of time
b4 she realises the irony behing proving her bravery n courage by blindly following smthing
that even d Guru-Granth doesn't so much as mention. She'll kno soon enuf dat d tenth Guru's
5 K's doctrine was merely motivated by d socio-political reality of his times. The Jhatka doctrine
for example was merely a rebellion against d halaal doctrine. She's merely trying to prove
smthing she will soon realise she needn't, n dat ther is no courage in blindly following dogma's..
Balpreet will realise dat it's not weakness to change with the times. Now she's ignorant.
She doesn't kno what d guru granth says abt kesh.

It's true that most of d Sikh r sikh bcoz their parents forced, or even emotionally blackmailed, them in to.

-

Singh-a-lion

Prime VIP
U better take santhea before messing. All meanings r nt wht u think.

Coz our guru told us,, hindu is blind (cant understand anything)
And u proved that our guru is right.

Ehne hun kehna...Santhea is British Made :lol2 There was no santhea during the Guru's time. Santhea was a female lady imported by the British :lol2 Guru's themselves shaved their heads and at times kept long hairs just to prove kabeers thought :hassa
Manush is a door knob Singh Saab... what can you expect from a door knob? Mainu Muslim Bana reha :lol2 Einne Sikha wale chittar mere toh kah kah ke aak gaya..hun mainu Muslim Keh reha :lol2
Propaganda ta eh log karde ne.

Sadhu

-
Hukme andar sab koi bahar hukum na koi
This should be considered.
D medical procedure that can remove unwanted hair is also well within d hukum
Women who shave or whatever to fit in better into society r not weak, just practical.
There is nothing wrong with that..

Also, Gurbani says:
kabeer preet ik seao kiye aan dudhiya jaee
bhave lambe kesh marai bhave tu gharari mundaee

What balpreet kaur is doing is far from inspiring. She's merely a victim of Sikh dogma.

Sikh parents shud not force their children into keeping their hair long.
Children must hv freedom enuf.
Whats d point in hving men with turbans n no facial hair?
The times have changed now. It is not weak for us to change with them.

N who is going to marry a girl with a beard??
Even girls given a choice wud prefer to marry a clean shaven boy.
Which girl will willingly marry a boy in kaccha n a foot long beard ??

-

Royal Singh

Prime VIP
-
N who is going to marry a girl with a beard??
Even girls given a choice wud prefer to marry a clean shaven boy.
Which girl will willingly marry a boy in kaccha n a foot long beard ??

-

I can give u live example here one of my friends Pavandeep jehri poori sikhni hai ohda viah ho chukka jehri turban ban di beard v heggi te ohda husband v singh ha (both born n raised in UK)& ohnu kisi nai force kita dove di wish naal hoya...
pta nai 22 tu kehre planet te rehnda :hassa
yaar tu chill kar :)

Singh-a-lion

Prime VIP
And if u call a monkey and half elephant GOD (unnatural)
den we have the natural thing on face. Nuthing wrong wid it,,
eh taan edan kehda jida kade ajj tak kisse singh da viah hi nai hoia hunda.
Which man wana marry girl who is worshiping other mans dic*
Ops sorry u guys worship same thing,
Gays

"And if u call a monkey and half elephant GOD (unnatural)
den we have the natural thing on face. Nuthing wrong wid it"

Ultimate response :hassa Half monkey and half man and Half Elephant and half man is natural for these fools but Natural human being isn't. Leave the internet manush

"eh taan edan kehda jida kade ajj tak kisse singh da viah hi nai hoia hunda"
Eis manush salle da aap nahi vahiya hoya kadi :lol2 eis bandar nu kis ne aapni kudi dehke ohdi zindagi kharaab karni :mad Jeh ho vi gaya hona, agar ush kol jake pucho, oh vi rojh eis de raj raj ke jhutiyan nal chittar mardi honi :lol2 Kyunki eh sala hai hi eis layik
"Which man wanna marry girl who is worshiping other mans dic* Ops sorry u guys worship same thing, Gays"
Don't be sorry Singh :lol2
Bezajatti complete :hassa :lol2 Ultimate Bezajatti in the history of Human..oopps bandar :lol2

Status
Not open for further replies.