Sikh Folk Stories

J@tti

..Majajan..
cobra1.jpg

Guru Nanak Grazing Buffaloes

Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s father once sent Guru Nanak Dev Ji to graze buffaloes in the pastures. While grazing the buffaloes, Guru Nanak Dev ji sat under a tree and started meditating on God. Meanwhile, the herd of buffaloes went into the neighboring farmer’s field destroying his crop. The farmer saw his crops getting damaged. He became furious and lodged a complaint with Rai Bular, the officer-in-charge of that area. Rai Bular came to inspect the fields, and to his astonishment, he found no damage was done to the crops; rather, the crops were blossoming. The place, at which this miracle took place, is known as Kiara Sahib.
On another occasion, Guru Nanak Dev Ji was sent to graze the buffaloes in the pastures and he fell asleep under the shade of a tree. As the sun rose higher, the shadow moved away. The rays of the hot summer sun began to fall on his face. A big cobra came at that place and provided shadow with its hood over the face of the Divine Master. Rai Bular happened to be passing by that side with his attendants. When he saw this strange scene, he was convinced that Guru Nanak Dev Ji is not an ordinary man. God had sent him to this world. Rai Bular then touched the Guru's feet in great reverence and thus became his disciple.

PS: I will try to post a story per day.. Guru Nanak Dev Ji's stories have always been my favourite part of our history.

TaRaN.rbk

ImmorTaL KhalsA
Waheguru :pr
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; [en]; NokiaN73-1/3.0704.1.0.1 Series60/3.0) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

J@tti

..Majajan..
hardwar.jpg

Hardwar is one of the Hindu pilgrimage places on the bank of river Ganges. As the sun came out in the morning, people started throwing water towards the sun. When Guru Nanak Dev ji asked them as to what they were doing, a priest replied, “We are offering water to our dead ancestors in the region of Sun to quench their thirst.”
Upon this, the Guru started throwing water towards the west. The Hindu pilgrims were astonished and asked what he was doing. The Guru replied, “I am watering my fields in Punjab.” The priest asked, “How can your water reach such a distance?” The Guru retorted, “How far your ancestors are from here?” One of them replied, “in the other world.”

To this Guru Nanak Dev ji stated, “If the water cannot reach my fields which are about four hundred miles away from here, how can your water reach your ancestors who are not even on this earth?” The crowd stood in dumb realization. Some of the listeners came to understand the point made by Guru Nanak Dev ji. They realized that the water that they were throwing simply returned to the river and it is a fake belief that it could reach their ancestors. Guru Nanak Dev ji preached against superstitions and false rituals, worship of demi-gods and goddesses. He stressed that only One God, the Formless, was to be glorified. In this way, he showed the path of truth and enlightenment. There is a Gurdwara called Nanakwara in Hardwar on the bank of the river Ganges where Guru Nanak Dev ji had stayed.
[/img]

Ramta

-

One, Hindu's don't offer water to their ancestors. It's a ritual welcoming the morning Sun.
Two, even that Brahmin knew the water doesn't reach the sun. Everyone knew.
(just as everyone knows that rampaging buffaloes damage the crops, not nourish it...)
Three, What those people were doing at Hardwar was their religion. One must not make
fun of other peoples beliefs.
(how would you treat someone lying pointing his/her feet towards the Harmandir??)
Four, the personage of Guru Nanak will never do what is depicted in that story.

Five, I don't believe that story even though I never offer water to the rising Sun.

-

Thanks

-

J@tti

..Majajan..
The main motive of this story is to promote logical thinking and discourage customs/superstitions that don't make sense.

When you dissect a story like you just did, you miss the essence of it.

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --
da only stories i heard in my childhood were of maun's ...

mummy roj draa dinde c k banda banja nahi maaun ajun.. maun ehe maun oho... uto my elder cousins maun saledaa bhoot pata ni ki ki kedi kahani sunande rahe..

main dar da ta bachpan to c fer wada hoke socheya nahi kahaniyaa ne maun ni hunda.. maun wagera sab wehem ne dil de..

but ....

den i met dhana :eek:

pps309

Prime VIP
da only stories i heard in my childhood were of maun's ...

mummy roj draa dinde c k banda banja nahi maaun ajun.. maun ehe maun oho... uto my elder cousins maun saledaa bhoot pata ni ki ki kedi kahani sunande rahe..

main dar da ta bachpan to c fer wada hoke socheya nahi kahaniyaa ne maun ni hunda.. maun wagera sab wehem ne dil de..

but ....

den i met dhana :eek:
hahaha...dhana nahi....maun kudiya nu kaya jaanda, specially gharaali nu...........:lol

pps309

Prime VIP
-

One, Hindu's don't offer water to their ancestors. It's a ritual welcoming the morning Sun.
Two, even that Brahmin knew the water doesn't reach the sun. Everyone knew.
(just as everyone knows that rampaging buffaloes damage the crops, not nourish it...)
Three, What those people were doing at Hardwar was their religion. One must not make
fun of other peoples beliefs.
(how would you treat someone lying pointing his/her feet towards the Harmandir??)
Four, the personage of Guru Nanak will never do what is depicted in that story.

Five, I don't believe that story even though I never offer water to the rising Sun.

-

Thanks

-
yaar lagda tu khij gaya................:lol :lol.......oops sorry :p

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --
-

how would you treat someone lying pointing his/her feet towards the Harmandir??

-

well personally i feel .. nthings wrng in dat.. rabb ta har pase ae.. and even Guru Nanak Dev Ji proved dat point in mecca madin I believe.... jidar marji paer hon rabb doesnt mater ..rabb ta har pase.. ..

and i cant say bout water offerin to sun.. bt i have heard sadhus and other holy people in haridwaar perform surya namaskar.. i think its same thing as offerin water to the sun.. bt m nt clear on dat ..

pps309

Prime VIP
well personally i feel .. nthings wrng in dat.. rabb ta har pase ae.. and even Guru Nanak Dev Ji proved dat point in mecca madin I believe.... jidar marji paer hon rabb doesnt mater ..rabb ta har pase.. ..

and i cant say bout water offerin to sun.. bt i have heard sadhus and other holy people in haridwaar perform surya namaskar.. i think its same thing as offerin water to the sun.. bt m nt clear on dat ..
Yeah main v sunya ke Suraj nu pani taa dayi da ke oh Devta.
I mean no matter garmi, sardi Sun rises at his times/sets down at his time. Never misses to rise or set, doing his duty perfectly. Imagine one day sun rises late or sets late or something like that, world will be in chaos. Therefore, Sun is a devta who burns himself to keep light in the world. Ohnu thanda karan lai loki jal chadounde aa.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Without beliefs and sentiments almost all religious practices are illogical.
To a person who is neither a Sikh or Hindu, offering water to sun or fanning Shri Guru Granth Sahib would be same , I believe.