Promises Made to the Sikhs & Promises Broken

In response to the inspiring sacrifices of the Sikhs, the leaders of the Hindu-dominated Congress party promised them due consideration in a free and reconstituted Indian republic. At the 1929 session of the Congress party held in Lahore the traditional Sikh colour of saffron was incorporated into the Indian national flag and the resolution made: “The Congress assures the Sikhs... that no solution thereof in any future Constitution acceptable to the Congress that does not give them (Sikhs) full satisfaction.”will be

On March 16, 1931, Mahatma Gandhi was asked at Sisganj Gurdwara in Delhi what assurances he might offer the Sikhs that the resolution of 1929 would be enacted by his Indian National Congress. His reply, published in Young ndia of March 19, 1931, reads: “Sardar Madhusudan Singh has asked for an assurance that the Congress would do nothing that might alienate sympathies of the Sikhs from Congress. Well, Congress in its Lahore session passed a resolution that it would not enter into or be a party to any settlement with regard to the minority question that failed to satisfy any of the minorities concerned. What further assurances the Congress can give to you Sikhs, I fail to understand. I ask you to accept my word and the resolution of the Congress that it will not betray a single individual much less a community. It is ever thinks of doing so, it will only hasten its doom... Let God be witness of the bond that binds me and the Congress with you.”

In July, 1946, while the British cabinet was debating the issue of giving the Sikhs their due in the coming political settlement, Jawaharlal Nehru declared at the Congress meeting held in Kolkata: “The brave Sikhs of Punjab are entitled to special consideration. I see nothing wrong in an area and a setup in the North wherein the Sikhs can also experience the glow of freedom.”

On January 5, 1947, the Congress Committee adopted another resolution that declared: “By British Cabinet Scheme of May 16, 1946, the rights of the Sikhs should not be jeopardized.”

In June, 1947, Hindu and Sikh members of the Punjab Legislative Assembly unanimously passed a resolution that: “in the divided Punjab, special constitutional means are imperative to meet the just aspirations and rights of the Sikhs.” [1]

Promises Broken

When the Constitution Act of India was declared in 1950, it declared Sikhism to be “a sect of Hinduism” and offered no safeguards to the Sikh community. Both Sikh members of the Constituent Assembly refused to sign the document. They declared vehemently that: “The Sikhs do not accept this Constitution. The Sikhs reject this Constitution Act.”

In subsequent years, all the personal laws of the Sikhs were abolished and replaced by Hindu statutes, such as the “Hindu Marriage Act 1955,” the “Hindu Succession Act 1956,” etc.

When in 1954 Jawaharlal Nehru was reminded of the solemn promises made to Sikhs and other minorities by the Hindu-dominated Congress party, he replied, “The circumstances have now changed.” [1]

userid50966

wht i think the reason for allt hese things are that they afraid from Sikhs,
eh ehna lokan da darr hai jo sikhan te katlem attayachar da nateeja hai , tus vekhea hi hona ke jadh bili darr jandi hai tan panja mardi hai , theek osea trahn eh sarkaran Sikhan ton dardian han.
Es layee menu koee shikva nahi , kyunki menu ptah hai ke eh sade ton darde nea tea thion apne darr nu dur bhjaun de yatan naal eh sabh Sikhan naal eh slook karde han