Bhai Muhkam Singh (1666-1705)

smilly

VIP
<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%"></TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>Bhai Muhkam Singh (1666-1705) was born Muhkam Chand, one of the Panj Piare or the Five Beloved of honoured memory in the Sikh tradition, was the son of Tirath Chand, a cloth-printer of Dwarka in Gujarat. About the year 1685, he came to Anandpur, then the seat of Guru Gobind Singh. He practised the manly arts and took part in Sikhs' battles with the surrounding hill chiefs and imperial tro ops. He was one of the five who offered their heads in response to Guru Gobind Singh's call on the Baisakhi day of 1699 and earned the appellation of Panj Piare. Initiated into the order of the Khalsa, Muhkam Chand received the common surname of Singh and became Muhkam Singh.
Bhai Muhkam Singh attained martyrdom in the battle of Chamkaur on 7 December 1705.

• Original Name: Bhai Mohkam Chand
  • Became Bhai Mohkam Singh
  • Calico-printer born Dwarka (Gujrat, India) on 1663. Was about 3 years older than Guru Gobind Singh
  • Father name: Bhai Tirath Chand Jee
  • Mother name: Mata Devi Bai Jee
  • Akal Chalana: Attained Shaheedi at Chamkaur Sahib on 1705 along with Bhai Himmat Singh and Bhai Sahib Singh
  • At the time of creation of the Khalsa, Bhai Sahib ji was 36 years old
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

smilly

VIP

Panj Piaray (The Beloved Five) On the Vaisakhi day of the year 1699, Guru Gobind Singh held a big gathering at Anandpur. It was held at a place where now stands the Gurdwara named Kesgarh. After the morning service, he stood up, drew his sword, and said aloud, 'Is there anyone here ready to lay down his life at my call ? This sword of mine is crying for the blood of a dear Sikh of mine.' At this call the whole assembly was filled with terror and amazement. The Guru went on repeating his demand for the head of a dear Sikh. At the third call, Bhai Daya Ram got up and offered his head. The Guru pulled him into a tent nearby. The sound of a blow, as of a sword cutting of man's head, was heard from inside the tent. A stream blood flowed out of the tent. The Guru came out. He waved his sword dripping with blood. He called for another Sikh's head. At this Bhai Dharam Das stood up and offered his head to the Guru. He was taken into the tent. Again the sounds of a sword-blow and body falling to the ground were heard from inside the tent. A fresh stream blood was seen to come out. In the same way, three other Sikhs stood up, one after another, and offered their heads to the Guru. They were Bhai Himmat Rai, Bhai Mohkam Chand, and Bhai Sahib Chand.
Then dressing the five in handsome new clothes, the Guru brought them before the assembly. He then baptized them with his amrit, sweetened water stirred with a two edged sword called Khanda. He called them his beloved five. He made their names end in "Singh" (Lion). They became : Bhai Daya Singh Ji, Bhai Dharam Singh Ji, Bhai Himmat Singh Ji, Bhai Mohkam Singh Ji and Bhai Sahib Singh Ji. Then Guru desired his Beloved five to prepare amrit or nectar in the same way as he had done. They obeyed. When it was ready, he stood up before them with folded hands and said. 'Now, my Dear Ones, baptize me as I have baptized you. Make me Singh as I have made you Singhs. Don't feel puzzled. Don't hesitate. My Dear Ones, you are my Guru. I am your Chela (disciple). O my Guru, grant my request. They obeyed. They baptized him as he had baptized them. He thanked them and said, "Now my name is not Gobind Rai, but Gobind Singh."
Having offered their heads to the Guru in response to his amazing call, they became martyrs. From that day they were living martyrs. They became his, body and soul. They remained with him to the end of their earthly lives. Their names have become immortal. They will be remembered as long as the Singh community lasts. They are remembered daily, morning and evening, in every place where a Sikh lives. Every time a Sikh recites the Sikh prayer, he repeats their names. Every time Karah Parshad is distributed in a Sikh congregation, their share is taken out before distribution among the persons present there.

Bhai Daya Singh Ji
Bhai Dharam Singh Ji
Bhai Himmat Singh Ji
Bhai Mohkam Singh Ji
Bhai Sahib Singh Ji