Are sikhs vegetarian or not?

Vegetarian or not?

• Total voters

pps309

Prime VIP
I have heard arguments from both sides.

I was told by some Sikhs that in Shri Guru Granth Sahib, it is clearly written that a Sikh should not eat meat. I do not remember the exact lines.

Sweet_Jatti

.*. KiNdEr .*.
im a vegetarian...

its hard for me to eat outside since everything mostly has meat or eggs in it

i usually eat at home, and if i eat out, i only eat pizza or i go to subway

but im always proud of sayin that im a vegetarian and i dont find it difficult to not eat meat...

im not even concious of it, that i wont eat meat cuz i keep myself away frm those kinds of places..

We Should All Be Vegetarians if We Believe in reincarnation... "chaurasi lakh joonia"... which we do.... so yea we should be vegetarian

-sukhi-

Ms. Ambitious
well.. i cant really call myself veg
Buh its not like eat meat everyday
i dont even meat unless i am dyin of hunger nd dere isnt nythin xcept meat
nd i cant say wah ppl shud or shud not eat caz i dno nuff bout sikhism nd guru granth sahib.

I think.......There is no direct restriction on eating meat in gurbani, sikhs are strictly restricted to eat meat ' Prepared with muslim style' .
So this not a sin to eat meat . but not mandatory to eat
These are social thing not eat meat by gursikh , this is good thing
But eh v nahi hai k sikh ne meat kha lya tan oh sikh nahi riha , it is upto sikh person

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Akal Takht Jathedar Sandhu Singh Bhaura issued a Hukamnama on Feb 15th 1980 stating that even Amritdhari Sikhs can eat meat as long as its Jhatka.

So eating jhatka meat is not against Sikh Code of Conduct.

pps309

Prime VIP
Some people say that Halal Meat is prohibited but not other.
How will you get to know in restaurants whether the meat is halal or not? Most of the restaurants get their meat from outside. Also most of the American meat companies pack the halal meat, they believe that is the best meat.

pps309

Prime VIP
One can never be sure the food we consume is 100% vegetarian.
I try to do that.
Anytime I go to eat outside, either I go to veggie restraunts or tell the waiter that no meat of any type in my dishes.

Par haan loki dhoke naal khai jaande aa, mere naal do south Indian sige oh har roj savere breakfast ch $1 cheese burger kha ke aaunde si :-p

J@tti

..Majajan..
Plants have life too, so why is eating plants considered vegetarian? Just because they are not as evolved?

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --
jatti ur last statement to lagda ke tera mann kar reya meat mut khaan da te tu hun inu justify karke rakhengi ke meat khaao dabke :bolt

feelin na leli maata..main taa udan hi mjaak kita... :thappar:thappar

jokes apart...jhatka ya halaal wtever.. jaan ta gayi agle di..
cant say ke sikhs nu meat khana chaida k nai ..
i say insaniyat de naate koi v howe we shd avoid it..
coz life is precious to everyboby te pain v harek nu hundi..

to be a veggie and not to b ,shdnt be restricted only to religions i believe.....
eh ta apne dil di awaaj de faisle tak rakho..ke wt ur heart says..

je mann marke ya religion karke u r nt having meat ta usda v daso ki faida?

bt also in some places wr dere is no vegetation at all like in extreme cold and hot weather places.. uthe bande kol koi chaara v hai ni..

J@tti

..Majajan..
jatti ur last statement to lagda ke tera mann kar reya meat mut khaan da te tu hun inu justify karke rakhengi ke meat khaao dabke :bolt

feelin na leli maata..main taa udan hi mjaak kita... :thappar:thappar

hun ta feeling leli mien :thappar:thappar:thappar:thappar:thappar:thappar
tu mere mansoobyan te paani ferta :thappar:thappar:thappar:thappar

I just brought it up because I had a discussion with my co-worker, who believes sikhs are allowed to eat non-veg. And he sent me links to some websites that proclaim the same and have quoted Guru Granth Sahib ji to back it. Later, I started wondering if we can call eating plants vegi.. as they have life as well. I guess it is all a circle that we are part of.

May be eating meat increases the burden of our karma more .. I can't say anything because I am ignorant myself.​

pps309

Prime VIP
Plants have life too, so why is eating plants considered vegetarian? Just because they are not as evolved?
Jatti I guess Plants, trees, grass are called vegetation of the planet. It is not about eating life or lifeless stuff. It is about not eating meat.
The one reason for not eating meat was disease. Not sure now, that time meat diet was supposed to be the reason of some diseases.

Baki jidda Guri ne kaya dil manne di gal aa. Main I guess har type da meat khada te sahunk naal khada. Par hun dil kitte hor lag gaya, taan karke shadya gaya.

One more thing, jihne meat nahi khana oh Gurbani di kisse tuk da matlab injh kad dega ke meat nahi khayi da, jihne khana oh Gurbani di tuk da ehja matlab kad dega ke meat khan di manahi nahi.

Je kisse da meat khan nu dil manda, khus hoke khao par ghato ghat hora agge prove na karo ke Gurbani ch manahi nahi ya fer Guran da langar chalda si meat da, te hor pata nahi ki kuch. Jitthe appa kesh kata laye, 5 kakkar to hat gaye, Nitnem te Rehraas Sahib to durr ho gaye, ta fer meat khan vich kyun vichar karni fer.

J@tti

..Majajan..
There are tons of things we can't do without modifying them in some form: like boiling chicken. We could not fly without invention of jets, we made travel easy with invention of cars, we live in better houses because of new inventions.. do you consider it all against what we were supposed to do? I am not trying to prove that sikhs are non veg. I just want a good explanation of the truth.

pps309

Prime VIP
There are tons of things we can't do without modifying them in some form: like boiling chicken. We could not fly without invention of jets, we made travel easy with invention of cars, we live in better houses because of new inventions.. do you consider it all against what we were supposed to do? I am not trying to prove that sikhs are non veg. I just want a good explanation of the truth.
I edited my post while you were posting yours.

Te Biba Gurbani ki kehndi aa, best thing is to read it and understand. Instead of asking others and getting half-cooked info.

J@tti

..Majajan..
If we can interpret gurbani according to our mindset.. how do I know if what I think it means is actually true?

pps309

Prime VIP
Par sachi gal dassa, appa nu enna inventions de nuksaan v bohat hoye aa. Aj sarra world oil picche larr raya. Aj Global warming bohat bada issue ban gayi aa. Jitthe pella loki bina fan to v reh lainde si otthe hun AC di lor pai rahi aa. Aj world di networking system te 100% dependency ho gayi aa.
So its better we should not divert from topic. That's why I edited my previous post.

Baki yaar, ohi gal aa. Jinne khana oh khaan da koi na koi bahana labh hi lau. Jisda dil manda khao, jisda nahi manda na khao.