It is one of those days when your sweet tooth comes to life once again. On top of that, you are craving for not just any dessert, rather something different, something that you have not tasted before. What about strawberry shortcake? It basically comprises of a sweet biscuit, which is cut into half and then filled with delicious strawberry. Whipped cream is used as a topping, to add to the delicious taste of the shortcake. Does that sound tempting? If yes, then go through the following lines and explore an easy strawberry shortcake recipe, listed just for you to make and relish. How To Make Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 stick Butter, chilled
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup Half and Half
- 2-3 tbsp Milk or Cream
- 1 quart Strawberries
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1½ cups Whipping Cream, or Non-dairy Whipped Topping
- First of all, you will have to rinse the strawberries thoroughly, under cold water. Now, drain out all the excess water.
- Hull the strawberries, slice them and put in a bowl. Sprinkle the sugar in top of the strawberries and cover the bowl.
- Let the strawberries stand at room temperature, at an undisturbed place, for about one hour.
- In the meantime, whip the cream well, until soft peaks form. You can add 2 or 3 tbsp sugar to it, if desired, before whipping.
- Cover the whipped cream and place it in the refrigerator. Let it stay there until you are ready to serve the cake.
- Put flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in the food processor jar and let them blend together well.
- Cut the stick of butter into 8 pieces and add to the flour mixture. Beat again, till the mixture resembles coarse meal and has a few pea-size chunks of butter still left.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Now, make a well in the center and stir in the half and half, with the help of a fork, till the dough gets moist.
- Let the dough stand for a minute and then turn it out, onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it well, until it holds together and is less sticky.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, while setting the rack at the center level.
- While the oven gets hot, pat the dough into a 6 by 12-inch rectangle, which is about 3/4-inch thick.
- Making use of a floured round cutter; cut the patted dough into eight (3-inch) biscuits.
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet and place the biscuits on it. Brush the biscuits with a little milk or cream and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake the biscuits for 10 to 15 minutes, until they rise and become golden brown.
- Transfer the biscuits to a plate and use a serrated knife to split each of them horizontally.
- Butter the inner side of the hot biscuits and use 1/3 cup of berry mixture as filling. Now, keep them on separate plates and top with a tablespoon of berry mixture, along with the whipped cream.