Prep time: 5 hours
Cooking time: 40 mins
Makes 1 loaf
50g each, black currants and mixed peel
50g almonds, blanched and chopped
50ml mixture of orange juice and sugar syrup
375g refined flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp five-spice mix
40g fresh yeast
120ml lukewarm milk
50g butter, melted (plus extra for brushing)
1 egg, lightly beaten
icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Toast nuts in oven for 3 to 4 minutes then mix with dried fruit. Pour orange juice mixture over and set aside.
3. In a bowl, mix flour, salt, sugar and spice mix. Set aside.
4. Mix yeast and milk until creamy, pour into flour and mix to form a dough. Cover bowl with clingfilm and leave for
30 minutes in a warm place.
5. Mix butter and egg, and add to dough, kneading well. Turn out dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and keep in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours.
6. Turn dough on to lightly floured surface, flatten into
a rectangle and spread fruit and nuts on it. Fold and knead to incorporate fruit and nuts. Roll dough into stollen shape. Place the loaf in a prepared baking tray (53cmx32cm), cover and leave in a warm place for an hour.
7. Bake at 190°C for 30 to 40 minutes. Brush with melted butter and cool on wire rack. Sprinkle with icing sugar.