Shahi Paneer is considered to be a mainstay dish especially in the Northern parts of India. Shahi which means 'Royal' and Paneer when translated is ' Cottage Cheese' gives Shahi Paneer a royal feel to it. However, Shahi Paneer is a famous dish liked by many and is available in almost all the hotels, restaurants and roadside eateries. 'Shahi Paneer' is undoubtedly one of the most popular dishes originating from India. Presented below is the cooking method to prepare the famous Indian dish of Shahi Paneer along with the ingredients required.
Ingredients (Serves: 6)
- 250 gm: Paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1/4 cup: Beaten curd
- 1/2 cup: Milk
- 1 1/2 cup: Tomatoes (chopped fine)
- 1/2 cup: Onion (chopped into strips)
- 1/2" piece: Ginger chopped fine
- 2-3: Green chillies chopped fine
- 2-3: Cardamoms (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp: Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp: Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp: Tomato sauce
- 3 tsp: Ghee or butter
- Salt to taste
- For Garnish
- 2 tsp: Grated paneer
- 1 tsp: Chopped coriander
- Chop paneer into 2" fingers.
- Heat half the ghee. Add onion, ginger, green chilli and cardamom. Fry for 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 7-8 minutes, covered. Add curd and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and cool.
- Blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Heat remaining ghee, add gravy and other ingredients except milk and paneer. Boil to get a very thick gravy.
- Just before serving, heat gravy, add milk and paneer fingers and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and grated paneer.