250 g - urad dal
200 g - petha or ash gourd
1 tbsp - ginger paste
5 - green chillies, finely chopped
1/2 cup - coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp - coarsely ground black cardamom seeds
1/2 tbsp - red chilly powder
1 tbsp - black peper, coarsely ground
1 tbsp - fennel seeds
10 - cloves, coarsely ground
1 tbsp - cumin seeds
1/2 tsp - mace powder
1 pinch - nutmeg, freshly grated
1/2 tsp - asafoetida or hing powder
1/4 tsp - cinnamon powder Method
- Coarsely grind urad dal in a dry grinder.
- Soak in water such that it is 1/2 inch above the dal and leave for a couple of hours.
- The water is absorbed to make a thick batter.
- Add asafoetida and mix well.
- Leave overnight in a warm place, to let it rise.
- Clean and grate the petha and squeeze out the water, keep aside.
- Grind together ginger, green chillies and coriander leaves in a food processor.
- Take a big mixing bowl and add the dal.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Beat vigorously and mix well, add water if necessary to make a dropping consistency.
- Spread greased paper on trays.
- Pour out small blobs on the tray.
- Leave them in the hot sun to dry.
- Store in airtight containers