Pumpkin Spice Sweet Rolls
Makes 12 large rolls
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 c warm water
- 3/4 c firm tofu
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 c plain soymilk
- 1/2 c non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance)
- 7 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 c non-hydrogenated margarine, room temp
- 1 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 tbsp soy creamer
- 1 1/2 c icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl. Set aside to proof.
2. While yeast is proofing, warm soymilk, margarine tofu, and pumpkin gently on stove in a medium saucepan, until margarine is melted. Blend with a hand blender, or in a food processor until smooth.
3. Mix together flour, sugar, and salt in a separate bowl. Fold dry ingredients into liquid ingredients.
4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into a ball and place in a bowl greased with margarine. Turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size.
5. Make filling and set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a large rectangle measuring 10"x 36".
7. Spread filling evenly over the dough and roll dough into a long cylinder along the long side (i.e. you will have a 36" cylinder.
8. Cut dough into 12 pieces, measuring 3" each. Place each piece in large muffins tins (you will need two tins).
9. Bake for 18-22 mins, until golden. Cool in tins on racks.
10. In a small saucepan heat soy creamer over med-lo heat. Add icing sugar and spices, stirring until sugar dissolves. Drizzle over slightly warm rolls.