Potato Sukke Recipe
1/2 kg Potato
2 handful of Onions (madras variety)
a small piece of Tamarind
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 - 1 tsp chilly powder
a large pinch of Asafoetida
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Oil
1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
1 sprig Curry Leaves
1. Boil, peel and break potatoes into medium size pieces, set aside.
2. Peel and slice onions.
3. Add a little boiling water to tamarind, take out thick pulp. To this add all the ingredients and mix to a paste.
4. Smear this paste on the potato pieces and leave aside for 20 - 30 minutes.
5. Heat oil, add seasonings in the order given; when the dal turns brown, add sliced onions and fry to a golden brown colour.
6. Now add potato pieces and fry on high flame, stirring all the while till they are roasted. Add some more oil, if necessary.