Pasta Recipe: Tomato, Mozzarella, Corn Pasta
Prep the Ingredients:
- Ĺ pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 large, fresh, ripe Jersey tomatoes (any delicious fresh tomatos will do)
- 2 ears of leftover corn
- 1 egg of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Start by heating up a large pot of water to cook the pasta. Add a little salt to the water to season the pasta from the inside out. When the water comes to a boil, add the pasta and cook to al dente or the firmness you like.
- While the water is coming to a boil, prep the other ingredients. Finely chop the garlic, dice the tomatoes, remove the corn kernels from the corn cobs, dice the mozzarella into cubes and finely chop the parsley.
- If you donít have some pine nuts already toasted, toast some up in a dry hot pan over medium heat being careful to move them around constantly so they donít burn.
- How to Make at Home
- The sauce for this recipe doesnít require much time. You want to cook everything fast so the tomatoes donít loose their fresh flavor and texture. Basically you are just heating them up and not breaking them down.
- The time it takes to make the sauce is about 5 to 6 minutes so itís important to time everything so the pasta is done at the same time as the sauce. If the sauce is done first, the tomatoes will break down waiting for the pasta. If the pasta is done first, it will cool off and not melt the cheese.
- Start by heating the olive oil in a large sauce pan or saute pan. The pan should be big enough to add the pasta to at the end to combine with sauce. If you donít have a pan big enough, you can combine the two in a large bowl.
- When the oil is hot, had the garlic and saute for about one minute. Donít burn the garlic or the dish will taste bitter. Add the tomatoes & corn and cook for 3 to 4 minutes and turn the heat to low.
- When the pasta is done, remove any for the kids who only want pasta with butter and add the rest to the sauce pan. Add the mozzarella cheese and parsley. Gently stir the mozzarella into the pasta and it should start to melt. It make take a minute or two but if the cheese is fresh, it will melt.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper. You can add the pine nuts now and stir them into the dish or serve the pasta into individual bowls and garnish with the pine nuts for presentation.
Simple but delicious. A great way to enjoy Augustís fresh corn and tomatoes.