MACHER JHOL RECIPE
1/4 tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
2 medium potatoes
5 green chillies
1 1/2 tblsp coriander seeds
1 small sized fish (preferably rohu)
3 tblsp mustard oil
2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
How to make macher jhol :
- Clean, cut and take off fish head.
- Clean inside of the fish and wash thoroughly.
- Cut the fish into half-inch thick slices.
- Pat dry with a kitchen towel and apply salt and turmeric powder.
- Wash, take off and cut potatoes into half-inch thick finger sized pieces.
- Wash, take off stems and slit the green chillies.
- Dry roast coriander and cumin seeds briefly, cool and grind to a fine paste, adding a little water.
- Heat up two-tblsp mustard oil in a pot till it just reaches smoking point.
- Remove, cool and heat up the oil again on medium heat.
- Mix in the fish slices, few at a time and fry for a minute on each side.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Mix in potato pieces to the pot and stir fry for two to three minutes.
- Heat up remaining oil in the same pan, mix in kalonji, slit green chillies and stir-fry briefly.
- Mix in coriander-cumin paste and stir fry on low heat up for a minute sprinkling a little water, if required.
- Mix in two-cup of water, sautéed potatoes, salt and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for four to five minutes or until the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Gently slide in the pot fried fish slices and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for two to three minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.