Layered akkawi cheese mousse cake
Prep time: 12 hours (includes soaking)
Cooking time: 2 hours (including setting)
1. For the akkawi dough, cut cheese into cubes and soak it in water for a day, changing the water every hour to reduce its saltiness.
2. Heat oven to 180°C. Cook cheese in an ovenproof dish
until it melts. Remove cheese from the oven and keep it
in a warm place.
3. Pour sugar syrup over the cheese until all of it is absorbed. Add semolina and mix to form a soft dough. Roll out the dough to ½cm thickness and divide into 4 sheets.
4. To make the strawberry mousse and croquant pistachio, soak gelatin in cold water.
5. Whip cream and icing sugar to a “soft peak” stage.
6. Melt gelatin in the microwave and fold it into the cream. Divide the cream mixture into 2 parts. Mix one part with strawberry purée and the other with pistachio croquant.
7. To layer, on each akkawi sheet, first spread the croquant pistachio cream, followed by the strawberry cream. Place another akkawi sheet on top and repeat until all ingredients are used up. Freeze the cake for 2-3 hours.
8. Slice and serve chilled.