KUNAFA (Arabic dessert)
* Kataifi(can be found in most middle eastern,grocery stores)-1 full package or fine vermicelli
* Butter -200 gm melted
* Sugar -1 1/2 cup
* Water-1 cup
* Juice of 1/2 lemon
* Orange blossom or rosewater-1 tsp
* Blanched whole almonds & pista-1/4 cup
* Walnuts,coarsely chopped -5 tbs
* Granulated sugar-2 1/2 tbsp
* Cinnamon powder-1/4 tsp
* Soft ricotta cheese -800 gm
* Butter, for greasing
1. Prepare sugar syrup with 1 cup of water and 1 1/2 cup of sugar along with lemon juice.Bring to boil,and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until it forms a syrupy consistency.
2. Remove from heat allow to cool.Add rosewater,and keep aside.
3. Pre -heat the oven to 180 degree centigrade.
4. In a large bowl gently loosen the kataifi dough and mix well with the butter.
5. Grease the baking pan with butter and place half the dough at the bottom press evenly.
6. Spread bits of ricotta cheese all over,then cover with the remaining kataifi dough,press gently .
7. Sprinkle fine pieces of walnuts,almond,pista all over.Sprinkle cinnamon powder and granulated sugar.Place another thin layer of remaining kataifi and press well.
8. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes,till the surface is golden brown.kunafa2
9. Remove from oven and pour sugar syrup all over hot kunafa.Allow to cool completely.
10. Invert on to serving plate.Decorate with remaining nuts.serve warm.
11. It is good to warm up before serving,because the cheese tastes better.it is a well known Arabic dessert all over the world and its really yummy…