Kofta Biryani Recipe
Basmati Rice - 1 cup (washed, soaked in water for 30 mins and drained)
Chick Peas (chana) - 1 cup, cooked and mashed
Ginger - 2 inch pieces
Garlic - 2 cloves
Onion - 1 cup
Green chillies - 3 to 4
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Tomato puree - 1/2 cup
Palak (spinach) puree - 1/2 cup
Turmeric - a pinch
Cream (optional) - 2 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil or Ghee - as required
Salt - as per taste
1. Put the oil or ghee in a pan, heat it and then put the bay leaf.
2. Next, add the drained basmati rice and fry it till the fragrance comes out. Then add 2 cups of water, a little salt and cook the rice. Ensure the grains remain separated even after cooking.
3. Make a paste of garlic, 1/2 cup onion, green chillies, lemon juice and ginger. Add this to the chana, mix well, make small balls out of them and deep fry in oil.
4. Next, put oil or ghee in another pan and heat it. Put the remaining grated ginger and finely chopped onion. Continue to fry till the onions turn light brown.
5. Now, add the palak puree, tomato puree, chilli powder, turmeric, cream and salt. Mix everything well and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or till the gravy becomes thick.
6. Take a serving bowl, then spread a layer of rice, followed by a layer of gravy, which in turn followed by a layer of kofta. This order should be maintained till all the rice, gravy and kofta is finished. Care should be taken to see that the top layer is of rice.
Note: Arrange the layers only a few minutes before serving else the koftas soften lose their taste. Also make sure the koftas do not break while serving.