Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
: 15-30 mins
Ingredients: For aloo:
5-6 medium potatoes
1 tbsp. raisins
1 tbsp. cashews powdered coarsely
1 tbsp. cream
salt to taste For gravy:
3 tomatoes pureed & strained
1 capsicum finely chopped
1 onions chopped in strips
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. red chilli powder
salt to taste
1/2" piece cinnamon
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tbsp. chopped coriander
2 tbsp. mustard (or other) oil
Grind to a paste:
1" piece ginger
4-5 red kashmiri chillies
8-10 mint leaves
4-5 cloves garlic (optional) Method For aloo:
- Peel and boil potatoes till semidone.
- Cool and core with a potato scooper.
- Mix raisins, potato scoopings, cashew, cream salt.
- Stuff into potato hollows. Keep aside.
To make dum
- Heat oil, add onions, stirfry till brown, drain, keep aside.
- Stirfry capsicum till done, drain, keep aside.
- Add whole spices, allow to splutter.
- Add paste to oil stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add puree, masalas, simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add water,sugar, salt, bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Use a heavy copper or steel pot.
- Inside of copper vessel must be polished with tin.
- Grease inside with ghee or oil.
- Place the potatoes in it. Pour gravy over them.
- Sprinkle the onions and capsicums.
- Take a tablespoonful of ordinary chappati dough.
- Make a long rope of it. Place along the rim of container.
- Place a well fitting lid over the mouth and press.
- The dough between the edges of the container and lid, will seal it.
- Press any protruding dough over, to seal further.
- Another way is to place lid first, then seal both edges with dough together.
- Place over hot coals or in the oven on slow for 20-25 minutes.
- Break open seal just before serving.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with warm soft breads or kulchas or naans.