The Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 14-ounce cans of diced or crushed tomatoes
- 3 cloves or garlic minced
- 2 cups of water
The Cabbage Rolls Ingredients
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a low flame.
- Add the onions and sweat them until translucent. Sweating is when you cook the onions over a low flame. Stir them occasionally to keep them from caramelizing. Once the onions are translucent move on to the next step.
- Add the garlic and heat until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for at least fifteen minutes.
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 1 large pot of boiling salted water
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat you like
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- ˝ teaspoon of ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 2 teaspoons of basil
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- Place the cabbage leaves into the boiling salted water for three minutes or until they are tender.
- Remove the leaves from the water and let them cool.
- If the stem of the leaf is very thick, carefully cut it out leaving as much of the leaf intact as possible.
- Mix the ground beef, onions, salt, pepper, herbs, garlic, egg, tomato paste, and rice.
- Combine thoroughly.
- Separate the beef mix into eight equal portions.
- Place a portion at the top of one of the cabbage leaves and roll the leaf until the beef is just covered.
- Fold in the sides and roll to the end of the leaf.
- Repeat for each leaf.
- Place the cabbage rolls, seam side down, into the sauce.
- Cover and simmer for one hour.
If you opt to use chopped portobello mushrooms rather than meat, be sure to sauté the mushrooms until they are tender first.