½ cup almond flakes
1 packet (250 gms) tri-coloured pasta
1 tbsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup cauliflower florets
Salt to taste
1 cup broccoli florets
2 medium-sized onions, sliced ¼” wide lengthwise
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp Italian herb blend
2 tbsp seedless golden raisins, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes and drained
2 tbsp dried sour cherries
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese Method:
- Lightly toast the almond flakes and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, till al dente.
- Drain, reserving one cup of the water. Reserve the pasta and the water.
- Place a large, heavy, non-stick pan on medium heat. When hot, add one tbsp of oil.
- Add the cauliflower. Raise the heat to high and add a generous amount of salt. (Tip: The vegetables should be seasoned right from the start, otherwise they will be bland; taste to check halfway through cooking).
- Stir-fry the cauliflower, till it is tender and starting to get golden in spots.
- Add the broccoli at this point and sauté. Cook the vegetables, till they are both well browned in spots. Remove the vegetables from the pan and reserve.
- Using the same pan (rinse if needed), add one tbsp of oil and sauté the onions on medium heat, till they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, herb blend and a pinch of salt. Be careful not to let the garlic burn. Cook, till the onions are translucent.
- Put another pan on very low heat. Add the pasta cooking water and the pasta and keep on very low heat.
- Add the cooked cauliflower, broccoli and onions, the raisins, sour cherries, parsley and ¼ cup of almonds. Stir to combine, adding some more pasta water if required. Raise the heat slightly, to bring it all together.
- Taste for seasoning. Transfer to a bowl, top with chopped parsley, Parmesan and the remaining almonds. Serve immediately.