Bitter chocolate ice cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 1l milk
- 200g 70 per cent dark chocolate , broken into pieces
- 250g cocoa powder (good quality, such as Green & Black's)
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar with electric beaters until very thick and pale.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, add the chocolate and cocoa and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until blended. Pour over the yolk mixture when still hot, beating all the time.
- Pour the chocolate mix into an ice-cream maker and churn until frozen, or pour into a container and freeze for 2-3 hours until beginning to firm up then whisk thoroughly to break up any crystals. Freeze until solid. Leave to soften in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving.