Besan Rava Ladoo
Besan Rava Ladoo
: 15-30 mins
1 to 1/2 cups - besan (chickpea flour)
4 tbsp - sooji (coarse semolina, not flour. i add this for giving texture to the laddu. optional. instead simply add more chickpea flour)
1/2 cup - ghee (clarified butter)
3/4 th - sugar
4 to 5 tbsp - almonds
1 tbsp - raisins Method
- Chop the almonds coarsely. Set aside.
- First warm the ghee in low heat. If it is solidified, then it will melt. Don`t overheat. Warming it is enough.( Ghee is essential to this ladoo for 2 reasons - for adding flavor and as a binding agent.)
- In a bowl, sift the chickpea flour.( I find that mixing the flour later after sifting is much easier and also avoids lumps).
- Add the semolina and the ghee.
- Mix well until well combined.
- Take a pan (non stick works too).
- Drop the mixture and keep the heat in low-medium heat.
- Now comes the essential part.
- Roasting this mixture takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes depending on the heat.
- Purpose for doing this is to get rid of the rawness of the chickpea flour.
- You know it is ready when your whole house is filled with sweetish aroma of the roasting chickpea flour.
- There won`t be any change in color hence keep your nostrils vigilant and stirring actions continuous.
- You don`t want to overheat the mixture (if you increased the heat to avoid constant stirring ) - the mixture will become v dry.
- Meanwhile in the same pan (where you melted/warmed ghee), toss the raisins. If there is no ghee, add a little to help the raisins plump up. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the almonds and toast them for 1-2 minutes. Set them aside.
- Now Remove the Besan mixture from heat and set aside in a bowl to cool.
- Now add the sugar,cardamom and half of almonds to this mixture.
- Take a little of the mixture in your hands.
- Clump your hands with the mixture to tighten it.
- Slowly using your inner palm, rotate it to make small balls.
- Though the mixture will not look sticky enough - it will get together to form beautiful ladoos.
- Depending on the shape of your ladoos - this mixture makes anywhere between 10-20 ladoos.