Authentic Gosht Dum Biryani
1 kg Lamb meat
600 gm Basmati rice
100 gm Ghee
5 gm Clove
2 gm Cardomom seeds
3 gm Cinnamon
75gm Ginger garlic paste
4 nos Green chillies
1 tsp Kewra water
1 gm Saffron
Salt to taste
100 gm Onion sliced
2 pc Bay leaves
250 gm Curd
10 gm Red chilli powder
5gm Fresh mint leaves
5 gms Coriandaer leaves
2 gm Cardomom powder
2 gm Mace powder
20 ml Milk
1. Clean the mutton.
2. Soak the saffron in a little warm milk.
3. Wash basmati rice and soak in water for at least 1 hour.
4. Boil the basmati until three fourth done.
5. Cut ginger, green chilli and mint leaves into fine julienne.
6. In a pan, heat the ghee, stir fry the onion, cloves, bay leaves and cardamom, to a golden brown colour, add the mutton cubes, ginger-garlic paste, season to taste and cook on high heat for 10 minutes.
7. Add yogurt to the mutton as well as red chilli powder and slowly cook until the meat is almost done.
8. Remove the meat from the pot and strain the gravy (jhol).
9. Take another pot, add kewra water, cardamom and mace powder and milk dissolved saffron and cook for few minutes more.
10. Add the cooked mutton to the flavoured and seasoned jhol and the ¾ done rice to this.
11. Cover this pot with dough of bread, brush it with saffron and milk mixture and cook for 20 minutes.
12. Serve hot with salan and garlic flavoured raita.
1) Shallow fry Onions to a crispy brown & add it on the top while serving.
2) Try layering - In the pot , add cooked rice , sprinkle some milk dissolved saffron on it , then add a layer of mutton, then a layer of fried onion & repeat the process & then put it on dum.
3) If you find it difficult to cook mutton well, please feel free to replace the mutton with Keema or Mince - take keema , mix salt & garam masala & cook on low flame.(cook time barely 10-15 mins)
4) This recipe calls for mutton cubes but if you use traditional mutton pieces, I suggest you avoid shoulder cuts & cook it in a pressure cooker with the whistle.
5) If you have the time & want the perfect biryani, I suggest you marinate the mutton with yogurt, green chillies, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, Haldi, Dhaniya, lemon & salt and khada masala( laung, badi ilaichi, jaifal, tej patta, javitri , choti ilaichi , black pepper corn etc) for 3-4 hours (min of 1.5 Hrs)
6) Please adjust the marinade ingredients according to your spice levels.
Source :- Dinkar Sardesai, executive chef of Rama International, Aurangabad , Tips by me