1 cup sugar
oil for frying
1 tsp sida bi carbonate
1/2 kg sweet potatoes
9 - 10 raisins
1 tblsp ghee
1/2 cup refined flour
How to make alutua :
- Make a syrup of one thread consistency with the sugar and 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Wash and boil the sweet potatoes with as little water as possible.
- Take off skin and fibre, if any, and mash.
- Sieve the flour and the soda, rub in the ghee.
- Mix in to the sweet potatoes.
- Knead well.
- In case the mixture feels soft, mix in a little more flour.
- Make lime size crack free balls and stuff one raisin in each.
- Heat up oil in a kadai.
- When the oil begins to smoke, take off the heat, put in a few balls at a time.
- Put on medium heat up again and fry till golden brown.
- Remove and put the balls in the syrup and keep aside for a few hours.
- Serve warm or cold.