A Classic Punjabi Dish-Aloo Matar (Potatoes and Green Peas)
Moving along, for dinner made a classic Punjabi dish called Aloo Matar, which is potatoes and green peas sauteed with Indian spices. There are so many variations of Aloo Matar, however wanted to create a version that didn't have too much gravy and wanted to achieve a yellowish-green color for my dish. How did I do it? added more turmeric powder, used only one tomato, and topped the dish off with fresh cilantro leaves. This dish goes really well with Roti/Naan.
NUTRITION: Potatoes are a good source of Vitamin C and Fiber. Green Peas are a good source of Vitamins B1 & C, Protein, and Iron, and a very good source of Folic Acid and Vitamin B1. Tomatoes are a good source of Vitamins A and C.
1. Start by chopping the garlic, ginger, and onions. I used my Magic Bullet to chop the ginger and garlic.
2. Heat a pot on medium heat, once hot, add Olive Oil, add the cumin seeds.
3. Once they start sizzling, add the turmeric powder. Cook for about 5 seconds.
4. Now add the ginger and garlic. Saute for 15 seconds or so.
5. Add the onions and salt. Saute for about 8-10 minutes. Keep checking to make sure the onions don't burn.
6. In the meantime, chop the tomato.
7. After 8-10 minutes, this is how the onions should look.
8. Add the tomato, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Combine.
9. Lower the heat to dial #3, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
10. In the meantime, peel and cube the potatoes.
11. After 10 minutes, this is how the onion and tomato should look, should form a paste-like consistency.
12. Add the potatoes and salt. Combine.
13. Add 1 cup of frozen green peas. Combine.
14. Add 1 cup of water.
16. Cover with a lid and allow this to simmer for 25 minutes on dial #3. Keep checking in between.
17. In the meantime, chop the cilantro.
18. This is what you should have after 25 minutes. Check the potato and make sure it is soft and edible.
19. Add garam masala and turn off the stove. Adjust salt.
20. Add cilantro.
21. Combine. And there is that yellowish-green color I wanted. Wait at least 15 minutes before serving, this will allow all the flavors to combine.