Tutorial: Patterned Vase with Unlikely Materials
Votive Candles, Heavy Duty Glue, Scissors, Infant size tights (the smaller the better) or leggings
Step by Step Tutorial:
1. Gather materials and clean votives so there is no dirt or debris. This will help the glue stick.
2. Glue two votive bottoms together with a thick bead of glue. Wait to dry.
3. Next, glue the top of a third votive to the top of one of the glued votives. Wait to dry.
4. Now its time to grab the tights. Cut the tights in half as close to the middle seam as possible, so the legs are separated.
5. Pull the tight leg over the finished piece, with the closed toe at the bottom and the tights opening at the top. *If you are using footless tights (like the ones I used for the striped vase) it doesn’t matter which way they are put on.
6. Cut off the excess at the top of the opening, leaving about a half inch to an inch to tuck back in.
7. Use your heavy duty glue again to glue down the extra trim to the inside of your votive.
8. Add short stem flowers and water. And you’re done.
Extra Tip: If you’re having a hard time finding a patterned tight that you like, go for a solid color instead. And before you cover over your newly made vase, use a drawing pen or non-bleed markers to create your own pattern by drawing it yourself, right onto the tights. Just stick a piece of cardboard into the leg first, so its stretched a little when you draw and it doesn’t bleed through to the other side.